IMG_6235.jpg

2010 August Garden Update

IMG_6233

I’m so excited to see all this green! We’ve been enjoying tomatoes, radishes, lettuce, onions, carrots, cauliflower (well only 1, but it was good!), squash, cucumbers and corn.

IMG_6231 IMG_6240

(In case you’ve been missing the teeny tiny tot, don’t worry, she’s still here and will be making a come back soon…you can see her lurking in the photos)

We found a little baby bunny who dug a nice little hole next to our carrots. He probably thought he’d died and gone to heaven with a protected little bed and nice fluffy green carrot tops to munch on. Unfortunately, we had to usher him out. I felt a little sad.

IMG_6236

For some reason our corn didn’t do as well this year, the stocks didn’t get very tall and the corn itself was miniature, but it was super yummy! If anyone has corn expertise, I’d love some advice.

IMG_6235

If you’re looking for more, click here to see our garden posts!

• Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva August 25, 2010 at 4:14 am

Our garden sucked this year. We had a good crop of tomatoes, but nothing like last year. Everything else just didn't really ever take off. Here is to next year's garden, LOL. Love the cages you have used.~Kimberleewww.TheSpunkyDiva.blogspot.com

• Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva August 25, 2010 at 4:14 am

• Crisc August 25, 2010 at 5:24 am

Now that is a garden!

• Courtney Wilson August 25, 2010 at 6:56 am

Wow that garden looks AMAZING! I love Square Foot Gardening and can't wait to start another one this spring. I couldn't do one last year because I was pregnant and moved across the country 🙂

• Corina August 25, 2010 at 7:49 am

Wow!! I am impressed!! It looks wonderful! This was our 1st year to do the square foot gardening and learned quite a bit. I will do quite a few things differently next year.

• Valerie McClintick August 25, 2010 at 10:00 am

Looks great!! I love that you did a variety of items….we're slowly building our stock every year as we learn! :)Valerie

• Andy and Jenn August 25, 2010 at 10:10 am

I've been told that with corn you need to have a few rows together because they cross polinate. This is from the professionals from the farmers market??

• Kimberly August 25, 2010 at 10:53 am

You do need several rows because they are wind pollinated. If you got small corn, I'm guessing they must've gotten pollinated though. 🙂 Do you rotate your crops each year? Corn is a very heavy feeder & will zap a lot of nutrients from the ground. They especially need lots & lots of Nitrogen!! You could always try the Indian way of fertilizing with dead fish (remember MFW Adventures?)!!Love your blog, by the way! I'm going to try one of you recipes tonight!!

• mindy2780 August 25, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Our garden did okay, tons of tomatoes and peppers, zuchinnis and my carrots look pretty good as well. But your garden looks great!

• Holly A. August 26, 2010 at 9:48 am

I'm not an expert gardener, but the more space we could devote to the corn, the better it did. 🙂 Our tomatoes and squash went crazy this year…but everything else has looked a bit sad.