Operation Christmas Child

For several years now we have packed shoebox gifts for Operation Christmas Child.  Their mission is to “demonstrate God’s love in a tangible way to needy children around the world” by packing a shoebox full of items for a child in need.  You’ll be surprised at the blessing this can will have on you, your child, and the child receiving the box!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxFmI6lzoss?fs=1]

How to participate in Operation Christmas Child:

1)  Pack a shoe box (Standard size requested):  Pick an age group, gender, and include items such as small toys, school supplies, and toiletries.  Click here to find full instructions. Make sure to include a donation of $7/box for shipping costs.

2) Pray for the child who will be receiving your gift.

3)  Drop off the box at a local collection site:  National Collection Week is November 15th-22nd.  Find a collection site here. (Make sure to place a rubber band around your box just to keep it together!)

3)  Follow your gift:  If you make your gift donation online (to cover shipping costs), you can print out a special label and track the gift!  Find instructions here.

For locations and hours of collection visit the Drop-Off Locations page where you can find the nearest place to take your shoe box or you can call 1-800-353-5949.

You can also send your shoe box gift to:
Samaritan’s Purse
Operation Christmas Child

801 Bamboo Road
Boone, NC 28607

• Mrs. Taffy November 7, 2010 at 11:21 am

OH thank you for the link to Shoe Box tracking! We've been doing this for years and this will make it so much more fun–to see where they went! Cool!

• Annette W. November 7, 2010 at 1:16 pm

We took our box to church today! M and I shopped yesterday, and it was a good day to bless someone.Freely we receive…freely we need to give!

• Erin November 7, 2010 at 6:40 pm

I have four children, ages 6, 4, 2 and 2. After the first two were born, we began a tradition of packing a box for a child of equivalent age and gender of each of our children, so this year, we will pack a box for a six year old boy, a box for a four year old girl and two boxes for two year old boys. The kids get to pick everything that goes into their age/gender box and they use part of their allowance to pay for the gifts (we cover the difference). It is such a wonderful way to teach our children about giving and it is one of their favorite holiday traditions!

• phasejumper November 8, 2010 at 10:25 am

This year was our first year packing boxes for OCC. The videos on youtube about the kids whose lives were touched from this program really moved me. I went shopping that very day! Our boxes are packed and ready to go, and I'm making it a new countdown to Thanksgiving tradition!

• Danny November 8, 2010 at 11:46 am

Thank you for posting about this. I've been looking for a service that was simple but tangible that we could do with our 2 year old and this looks great. We went to the store this morning and she helped me pick out things to fill our shoe box. I'm really excited!

• Danny November 8, 2010 at 11:46 am

• Danny November 8, 2010 at 11:46 am

• Cara November 8, 2010 at 7:23 pm

What a coincidence! I just found out about this organization at my mom's group this morning. We were each given a box to fill up with our own children, and I'm really looking forward to making this an annual tradition with my three year old. What an amazing organization!

• Anonymous November 10, 2010 at 12:13 pm

I was wondering if you had any book suggestions for a 4 year old to get her ready to help and understand why we do this???

• Confessions Of A Homeschooler November 10, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Anonymous: Hi, I don't have any book suggestions for OOCC we just discuss the meaning behind it and each child get's to pack a box and pray for the child that will be receiving their gift.