Expedition Earth: Morocco
Marhaban and welcome to our Expedition Earth week on Morocco! Did you know that it snows in Morocco? Contrary to popular believe, Morocco receives quite a high annual snowfall and snow skiing is becoming a popular holiday activity! There are several snow skiing resorts in Morocco found in the High Atlas Mountains where temperatures plumet! And that’s just one of the cool things we learned about this week!
So of course we started by going over all the countries we’ve learned so far, then found Morocco on the map.
Next we stamped our passports and took off on our journey!
Here are some of the things we learned on our voyage:
- Located Morocco and The Straight of Gibraltar on the map, and completed our worksheet
- Learned about the Moroccan Flag and colored in our worksheet
- Learned how to say “Hello” in Arabic – مرحبا pronounced Mar-ha-ban
- Prayed for the people of Morocco and Riffi Berbers
- Read: Children Just Like Me Book
- Completed our mini lap book activity
- Learned about and classified 6 animals of Morocco
- Read: Usborne Encyclopedia of World Geography
- Learned about the High Atlas Mountains
- Made some faux fly whisks, which with the onset of spring actually came in handy this week!
- Enjoyed a traditional Moroccan dinner to complete our week!
- Took a quick lesson in Belly Dancing, the girls did, not me!
Here are some of the highlights from our week:
Here is my whiteboard for the Morocco, please ignore the fact that I really need to clean it:
We found the Capital city, and the Straight of Gibraltar then completed our mapping activity:
Next we learned about the Moroccan flag and colored in our notebook page.
We made some fly whisks using a paper towel tube and yarn.
We learned about 6 animals found in Morocco, then added them to our animal wall. My kids are getting tired of boring smiles, and since we’re getting close to the end of the year, we’re opting for funny faces. It’ll probably only go down hill from here…
Definitely a highlight of the week was our Moroccan dinner! The kids were happy to find out that they don’t use silverware. We ate everything with our hands from a communal plate. We tried rabbit, lamb and Cornish Hen. I wasn’t sure how I was going to like the food, but I have to say it’s been one of my favorites so far, everything was delicious! The entire meal took 3 hours which went well thanks to all the entertainment going on.
And with that, I’m wrapping up our week on Morocco! Stay tuned as we head over to Nigeria next week!
Click here to learn more about my Expedition Earth World Geography curriculum!