Welcome to another day of Summer Boredom Busters by Erica! Today we’re making DIY No Cook Play-Doh!
Okay, so I know this stuff has been around forever, but it’s still a great summer boredom buster. Tho’ I will admit, last time I made it it was a little sticky!
But with the amount my kids go through I thought it was worth it to try making our own homemade play-doh one more time. Really it’s mostly flour and water, so the cost is very minimal as well. Especially if you have four kiddos who love play-doh!
I did alter my recipe a bit from last year, so I think this one worked better.
Here we go…
Ingredients: (This recipe will make exactly the amount you see in the image below. Each one is about 1” dia. x 4” long.)
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 4 tsp. vegetable oil
- 3 cups flour
- 3/4 cup salt
- 2 Tbsp. cream of tartar (Located in spice isle. This helps dough keep longer and helps with elasticity.)
- Food Coloring or Koolaid to color the dough
- In large bowl mix flour, salt, and cream of tartar until well mixed.
- In a separate bowl mix water and oil.
- Separate flour mixture into 6 equal amounts in smaller bowls (1 bowl per color you plan to make)
- Separate water mixture into 6 separate bowls and add different food coloring to each bowl, enough to make the water VERY bright.
- Add 1 of the colored water cups to each bowl of flour one at a time. Mix until it reaches the consistency of bread dough. Repeat for remaining colors.
- Store in an airtight container, i.e. plastic Ziploc bag.
Last step is to hand it over to the kiddos for some creative playtime!
Simple as that, you have homemade play-doh for a fraction of the price! Enjoy!