2015 5th Grade Homeschool Schedule

Hello readers! Today we’re taking a closer look at the 5th grade daily homeschool schedule that Turbo has been doing this year.

5thgrade_curriculum

This is basically an outline of our day and things do change up a bit here and there. But for the most part, this is the schedule that Turbo is following this year. I didn’t let him pick an elective class this year, but I think I’ll allow everyone to pick one next year since Strawberry Shortcake’s photography class went so well.

We switched things up a little this year, and instead of doing history and science everyday, we now alternate them doing both only twice per week. I did have to pick units for our science because we won’t get through the whole book in one year now, but several of them were repeats for us anyway. And I prefer alternating them each twice a week rather than trying to do both daily.

Turbo is currently 10 years old, and in the 5th grade. He definitely has a filled schedule this year, but he’s doing great!

5thgradeSchedule_2015

• 11:20am – Reading
  • 11:30am – Spelling
  • 11:45am – Vocabulary
  • 12:00 – Lunch/PE
  • 1:00pm – History / Science
  • 1:30pm – Typing, art, music, LEGO Robotics
  • 2:00pm – Writing / Literature (2x per week)
  • 2:30pm – Free
  • 4pm – Swimming & Inline Hockey. And yes, I drive around a lot this time of day.

We are currently doing Bible, History, Science, and Literature as a group which makes it a bit easier on me. And this year Tinker Bell, Turbo, and Strawberry Shortcake all do IEW writing together too.

Here is our 5th grade curriculum for the year:

Extra-Curricular Activities:

Hope you enjoy seeing our daily schedules, I’ll be posting more on our up coming year’s schedule and curriculum soon!

• Jennifer May 5, 2015 at 8:41 am

Have you looked into 4-H in your location. My daughter has done photography for the last 3 years and has learned all the same things that the photography class that Turbo is taking. There are workshops that the group puts on that reviews the topics during the spring and then they present a poster of pictures for the fair. My two oldest are doing photography, electronics, sewing, and cats this year. I count it as school during the spring and summer, because they are learning so much, not just from me, but experts that love what they do.

• Lauren May 5, 2015 at 12:00 pm

I work for 4-H and would second that suggestion!

• erica May 5, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Yes, we do have 4-H in our area, but we’ve never done it due to time conflicts with other things in our schedule. But I think it would be a lot of fun!

• diana May 5, 2015 at 6:12 pm

Hi i am coming back to your site once more today for your very helpful chore system and just saw your recent post here for your ten year olds schedule! He sure has a full schedule. MY 8.5 year old boy has just been diagnosed as dyslexic and therefore we are working on reading before he can do a lot by himself. Would this be the first year your son would have had such a full schedule, or rather do you find in the period from 8.5 yrs old to ten/eleven is a time of the workload growing and they are working more independently? Also, my question is when do you schedule in chores for your ten year old?
    Thanks so much for your very useful practical and helpful site and all the work you put in!
    Di

• erica May 7, 2015 at 2:30 pm

Hi Diana,
      I think their schedule has slowly increased as the years go by. So this year is fairly similar to his schedule from last year. The work load is a bit harder though and takes a bit longer as they progress in grade levels.

I would do as you said, and focus on reading first as that will help with his other school work and make him more independent as well.

We all do chores in the afternoons after school, but before sports. Right now they each do one thing like empty a level of dishwasher, or fold laundry, or put their laundry away depending on what’s going on. We do a whole house cleaning on weekends right now since that’s our only time.

Summer is a bit different and we spread chores out more over the week while schools out and we have more time.

• Carol E. May 5, 2015 at 7:40 pm

Erica,
    I would love if you did a review on the Home school in the Woods now that you have used it for a full year. I love your lapbooks, you make them so much fun. Thank you.

• erica May 7, 2015 at 2:27 pm

Hi Carol,
      I will! But just so you have an answer now, we are still enjoying it 🙂

• Carol E. May 9, 2015 at 6:52 pm

Thank you. Will you be using it again next year?

• erica May 11, 2015 at 1:39 pm

I haven’t decided yet, but I will probably do the Renaissance next year.

• Breanne C May 6, 2015 at 1:04 pm

Is there curriculum that goes along with the LEGO robotics? Do you think it could be done without a co-op? thanks.

• erica May 7, 2015 at 1:49 pm

Breanne,
      The Activity Pack that you can purchase separately has the lessons in it. And yes, you can do it without a co-op. I would suggest 2 students since it’s kind of a team effort, but you could still do it with 1, they’d just have more to build.

• Katie May 18, 2015 at 4:28 pm

Hi Erica. I am just beginning the homeschool journey and am finding your website so very helpful. I am learning so much from you and you don’t even know it 🙂 I have 10 year old twins that I am removing from private school and beginning to homeschool. 1 of my twins is grade level…going into 5th grade. The other twin struggles and is very behind. Do you know of any curriculum that might apply to kids with needs? There is no diagnosis, he is just and has always been behind in all areas including speech and language. Thank you for this wonderful website, it is amazing!
    Katie

• erica May 20, 2015 at 12:46 pm

Hi Katie,
      We use BJU English for our language/grammar stuff, and I do like it. I’m not sure if it might be too much for your child who is struggling. And I’ve used Abeka for the phonics/reading portion of our curriculum. It’s fairly straight forward. I’m not sure what exact areas they’re struggling in, but you might consider looking at All About Spelling Level 1 for him. The word lists will be super easy due to his grade, but I’m guessing if he’s having trouble with speech and language he might not have learned his phonics sounds/rules as well as he should have. They do a great job at reviewing/drilling/memorizing phonics rules and sounds that vowel teams, and consonant chunks make so it might help quite a bit with that area.