Our Top Homeschool Reading Curriculum Picks

Hi friends! Today I’m sharing our top homeschool curriculum picks for Reading!

The curriculum I’m mentioning today are all things that we have used in the past and enjoyed. Hopefully they will help you get started when researching the best curriculum for your family.

Watch my Top Homeschool Reading Curriculum Picks video here!

Here are links to some of my favorite reading resources:

Want more info? Stop by my Reading Curriculum Forum where I shared some of my favorite resources and my community piped in with their favorites too!

And don’t forget to check out our COAH Community where we all share and discuss our favorite curriculum too!

coah_joinourcommunity

Make sure to check out my Homeschooling 101 book available now!

homeschooling101bookcover

Homeschooling 101 is a step by step practical guide that will help you to get started, and continue on in your homeschooling journey. It is designed to help guide you through all of the steps to getting started, choosing and gathering curriculum, creating effective lesson plans, scheduling your day, organizing your home, staying the course and more! It even includes helpful homeschooling forms!

• Heidi Johnson April 18, 2018 at 6:11 am

I’ve never heard of Bookshark but it looks like it fits right in with what I look for in a program – very little teacher prep and works with a 4 day a week homeschool schedule. Thanks for sharing.

• Lisa Smith April 18, 2018 at 12:27 pm

Hi Erica! I was wondering if you have your children complete book reports at all?

• erica May 4, 2018 at 10:40 am

It depends, when we’re doing my Literature Units I will usually have them do a final book report on them, but it’s totally up to you.

• Rachel Johnson April 18, 2018 at 1:41 pm

My fifth child is learning to read and I’ve wondered if there is something better I could use other than what I had for the previous four. It takes so much time and effort to research new curriculum and find out just what is in it that distinguishes it from another. I really appreciate you taking the time to put together this video to compare/contrast some of the different options. Thank you! BTW-I love your preschool printables and have used a number of them with various children for phonics work!

• Sarah Anderson April 18, 2018 at 8:47 pm

How interesting that you posted this today. It’s on my to do list to start researching what we should use this fall with my daughter who just completed all about reading- she is a very strong reader now and I don’t know what’s next? Any ideas…

• erica May 4, 2018 at 10:39 am

Hi Sarah,
      I usually move on after about 3rd grade into a less formal reading program. I like to use my Classic Literature Units for elementary aged students, and then we’ve been using BookShark for the older kids. Since that can be a bit pricey, you might just look online to see if you can get their book list, or even just search Sunlight’s reading program to get their book list and start reading from those.

• Haley April 23, 2018 at 6:30 am

Abeka sounds great for our needs. I think I will try to find them used as I am still a little strapped for money. I like the idea of stop and think about it. I usually will even add some of my own questions about what we find interesting in the story. Thank you very much for the video!

• Loreen April 23, 2018 at 7:29 pm

Too bad you haven’t tried the Bookshark History with Reading! The magic of Bookshark is how it makes history come alive with the historical fiction! We read the books from the Sonlight lists with my oldest for years, but when I actually bought the instructor’s guide and did the whole thing (just bought the guide and then bought the books used), it was so much better! We switched to Bookshark from Sonlight shortly after that and love it! It is almost identical, but without religion.