Whole Wheat Bready Goodness!

IMG_3868
I LOVE the smell of fresh baked bread! And after several attempts at different recipes, my husband has finally perfected it! (Yes, I said my HUSBAND).
I’ve tried to make the bread, but let’s just say it doesn’t go so well and leave it at that shall we?
The recipe we used is from the Urban Homemakers website, and so far has been the most consistent we’ve tried.
Ingredients:

• 2/3 C honey
  • 2/3 C oil
  • 6 C warm water
  • 3 TB Saf Instant Yeast
  • 1 1/2 – 2 TB Real Salt
  • 12-16 C fresh whole wheat flour
  • 3 TB Dough Enhancer
  • 1/3-1/2 Cup Vital Gluten

Directions:

Step 1: Combine the warm water, yeast, and 2 Cups of fresh whole wheat flour in a large mixing bowl or Bosch Mixer. Allow to sponge for 15 minutes. Add the honey, oil, dough enhancer, salt and 12-16 C additional flour until the dough begins to clean the sides of the mixing bowl. (We typically use around 13 -14 Cups.) Do not allow the dough to get too stiff (too dry). Dough should be smooth and elastic. It is a common mistake for the beginning bakers to add too much flour. (Dough should be soft, but NOT sticky)

Step 2: Knead the bread for 7-10 minutes or until it is very smooth, elastic, and small bubbles or blisters appear beneath the surface of the dough (Use speed 1 on the Bosch). If you are kneading by hand, be sure to add the minimum amount of flour to keep the dough soft and pliable by using a tsp of oil on your hands and kneading surface.
Step 3: Form the dough into 5-6 loaves. Place the dough into greased loaf pans. Allow to rise in a slightly warmed oven or other warm place until doubled in size (about 30-60 minutes).
Step 4: Bake loaves for 25-30 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Bread is cooked through when it sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom, and when the top and sides are a golden brown color.IMG_3868
Bread Making Links:

• Alone in Holy Land April 14, 2010 at 3:44 am

The bread sounds yummy!In our household too, my husband bakes the perfect bread, with rosemary and olive oil…

• Melinda April 14, 2010 at 5:54 am

Well I am the official bread maker in our home. However when I am not on the ball, and just after giving birth, my hubby jumps in. He enjoys the kitchen!!

• TIFFANY April 14, 2010 at 6:59 am

That bread looks yummy! I haven't tried to make bread in a long time. I may have to give this recipe a try though. Thanks for sharing.

• Andria April 14, 2010 at 10:57 am

I have used that recipe for 5 years as our exclusive WW bread recipe! Her recipes are fantastic. It makes a great pizza crust, too.

• Alison April 14, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I love, love, LOVE homemade bread! I have Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day and love that bread too, but I'm excited to get my hands on the newer Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day (I think that's the title of the whole grain goodness one!)Your bread looks yummy- I'm due to start baking any hour now…

• Tara April 14, 2010 at 6:59 pm

I make all of our bread, but I don't grind my own wheat. How much whole wheat flour would you use in this recipe?

• April April 15, 2010 at 5:55 am

I use that recipe too and we have been doing it for 9 years with much success. I did eventually start leaving out the dough enhancer as that gets expensive and it still turns out delicious.

• Laura @ Laura Williams' Musings April 15, 2010 at 7:11 am

I use that same recipe too. Have for about 5 or 6 years.I use the same Bosch as pictured too. lol Bought it from the urban homemaker.I do grind my own wheat using a Whisper Mill. Makes a big difference in taste and texture! YUMM!

• Sippy Cup Central Mom April 15, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Thanks for posting this, I really can't wait to try it!!! KarenSippy Cup Central

• Jamie April 15, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Very nice! I made 2 loaves yesterday. Slaved hard thawing out the frozen dough that I got from the Schwans man LOL! I bet mine is nothing near as good as yours.

1 2