The Very Hungry Caterpillar

One of our favorite books to read is The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I made a fun graphing sheet to go along with the story that kids can fill out as you read the story, you can download the graph sheet here.

I also made lacing cards for the story as well. After cutting out the pieces, I punched a hole in each one then tied a piece of yarn to the caterpillar. As you read the story they lace on the items he eats. At the end they lace on the cocoon.

I then had them put the whole thing in a bag, like a cocoon. While we are reading the final page and discussing what happens to the caterpillar, I put that bag behind my back and switch it out with another one containing the butterflies. Then I give them back their bag and let them reach inside and pull out the butterfly. They LOVED it!

You can download the Hungry Caterpillar cards here!

This activity goes along well with my Letter C for Caterpillar Unit!

• Tara Rison March 19, 2010 at 4:26 am

Super cute! I will add a link to these on my wiki. Thanks for sharing!

• Sippy Cup Central Mom March 19, 2010 at 5:37 am

We love this book. Thanks again for your letter downloads, we are having so much fun with them. You really do such a nice job and we really appreciate it! Thanks, KarenSippy Cup Central

• Jolanthe March 19, 2010 at 11:04 am

super cute girl!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Bird March 19, 2010 at 11:28 am

wow! how creative and adorable! thank you for doing this blog, your inspiration is a blessing. god bless!

• legendswife March 19, 2010 at 11:59 am

this is so informational! Thank you:)God Bless

• Christina March 19, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I was just wondering if you pointed out to your dc that butterflies actually come from a chrysallis and it is the moths that emerge from cocoons. A very important difference between these two that the author flubbed on. I think that most children know that caterpillars don't really eat most of the stuff in that book, but many do adamantly argue with me about butterflies coming from cocoons. Still a fun book though.

• Confessions Of A Homeschooler March 19, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I didn't b/c my dd was only 3 when we did this, but actually now that you mention it, I probably should be accurate even with my preschooler eh! Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

• Rebecca March 19, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Weve also made those lacing cards ๐Ÿ™‚ Theyre fun!

• The Sunshine Crew March 20, 2010 at 4:53 am

So cute! Thanks so much! We are wrapping up studying spiders and are moving into insects so this will be great:)

• 3BoyMommy March 21, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Could you explain how you use the graph? I'm sure it is something simple and I'm just missing it.

1 2