Word Block Phonics

I found this wonderful game on The Crafty Classroom and immediately LOVED it! I’m all about anything that can make learning more fun, and colorful, and pretty…and involves paint…and a trip to the craft store ;o)

IMG_3676

Really this is another take on the Paint Chip Phonics game I made awhile back, but looks a little more interactive to me. So here’s how to make it:

Supplies:

• Wooden cubes from craft store
  • 3 Colors of Acrylic Paint
  • Foam paint brush
  • Sharpie

IMG_3670 IMG_3671

Step 1: I followed the advice on The Crafty Classroom and left 3 of the blocks the natural wood color so my children would know which blocks are the beginning letters.

Step 2: Next I painted the remaining 6 blocks to be used for the ending sounds. I painted the same color on opposite sides of each block. Just make sure to let the sides dry enough to handle before moving onto the next color.

IMG_3672

Step 3: Write various ending sounds on each block. Since we’re learning 1 and 2 vowel words now, I went ahead and did both. I used random endings from the Paint Chip Phonics post (scroll to bottom for word list).

IMG_3673

Step 4: Put in a workbox and hope it looks enticing to the unsuspecting kindergartner-2nd grader about to play the game!

IMG_3676

Rules of the game: Roll the dice and then come up with as many words as you can, winner is the one with the most words! Since my children still need lines to be able to write legibly, I created a Word List worksheet just for this purpose:

wordblockphonics

Happy Reading!

• Jenny March 5, 2010 at 3:12 am

Looks fun to me :)…might just be a project in my future too!

• Cindy March 5, 2010 at 4:01 am

This is such a great idea! Guess I'll be heading to the craft store soon – not that I needed a reason…I love the craft store too!

• Sippy Cup Central Mom March 5, 2010 at 4:55 am

I really think this is great, need to stop at the craft store, thanks,KarenSippy Cup Central

• Andria March 5, 2010 at 5:29 am

I saw that too and just made them yesterday. I am really excited to use them. I also made a few with sight words that have been a bit harder to remember. I wrote the whole word on one side. I am hoping that maybe he will have fun rolling them and learning that way! Hands on is so much more fun!

• Elle March 5, 2010 at 5:33 am

Great idea. Thank you. What size blocks are you using?

• Wendi March 5, 2010 at 7:43 am

What a great game. I just have to tell you how much I appreciate your blog. You have such wonderful inspiration. I have told so many of my friends about your blog. At our PE class your blog name just rolls out of our mouths like it is a word that everyone know. I cannot wait to try this new game. Have a blessed day and have fun learning today.

• Confessions Of A Homeschooler March 5, 2010 at 8:14 am

Elle: They are about 1" x 1", I would have liked them a bit larger, but that's all I could find at JoAnn's and my Michael's was out of wooden blocks! :o( But, they work just fine, so it's all good!

• familyofthree March 5, 2010 at 11:30 am

This is adorable!! I have phonics tiles that are similar, but I love the block idea. 🙂

• Joyful Learner March 5, 2010 at 11:36 am

We made these too and we love them! Thanks for the worksheet download!

• Donovan Doins March 5, 2010 at 4:51 pm

We will be making these, but I think I will have hubby cut some 2X2 blocks from scrap wood. Love this idea.Thanks

1 2