IMG_6770web.jpg

Expedition Earth – China

Ni Hao! We had so much fun with our Geography Curriculum last week learning about China!

Here are some of the fun activities we did for the week:

We started off filling in our passport and putting on our flag sticker for China:

IMG_6770

We learned:

• Where China is on the world map & located Beijing, Huang He River and the Yangtze River
  • A song in Mandarin
  • How to say “Hello” in Mandarin
  • How to pray for the Chinese people
  • About children in China
  • Chinese Numbers
  • Studied the Great Wall of China
  • Completed a china lapbook activity
  • Completed and classified animals of China
  • Read The Story of Ping by Marjorie Flack
  • Learned new Geography terms
  • Played Chinese Checkers
  • Learned major landmarks and other fun facts about China

And here are what I managed to take pictures of ;o)

Last week we learned all of the continents and oceans. We review those each day and added in the location of China is this week as well. The Indian Ocean is my preschooler’s favorite one, so she always points to that one first.

IMG_6628

We practiced writing the symbol for hello: 你好 (pronounced nǐ hǎo)

IMG_6520

We worked on our China Lapbook component:

IMG_6787 IMG_6788

We made handmade paper, then wrote the Mandarin Numbers on it:

IMG_6555

China 002

We made fun paper lanterns:

IMG_6526

We learned about the Chinese Flag and labeled our mapping worksheet for our countries binder:

IMG_6549

We learned about some fun animals found in China, here they are holding up their waterfall books with their favorite animal. And this week we were able to visit a zoo that had an Asian Exhibit which included all of our animals but the pandas! That was too cool! I’ll post pictures shortly as that deserves a post all of it’s own.

IMG_6578IMG_6582

After learning about our animals, we learned all of the animal classes and classified each of them on our animal wall. (And yes, I do realize I have a TON of mammals in our units so I’m sure I’ll have to re-organize the wall a bit as we go.)

We made these super cute Chinese paper fans:

IMG_6566

We learned fun facts about the Great Wall of China then made our own miniature model of it, I’ll post more on this later, but here it is in progress.

IMG_6599

And for family fun night, we ended our week with a field trip to one of our favorite Chinese restaurants complete with lessons on how to hold chopsticks. Oh, and of course we said “Ni Hao” to our waitress!

IMG_6602 IMG_6603

I’ll post the instructions to the individual crafts later on so you can have your own fun learning about China!

Click here to learn more about the Expedition Earth Geography curriculum!

• Faith September 20, 2010 at 4:50 am

Love it! Can't wait to "travel" to China too. Thanks for sharing.

• Heidi September 20, 2010 at 5:31 am

Is this part of the curriculum I just found out you created? Looks awesome!

• Allison September 20, 2010 at 6:16 am

How fun! That is how learning should be…we might have to visit China ourselves soon! Thank you for all the work you put into sharing these great ideas.

• Ticia September 20, 2010 at 6:19 am

Your handmade paper turned out better than mine. There's a great series of books called "The Story of ______" and it tells how 3 brothers invented noodles, paper, kites, and something else in China, super cute.

• Wright Photography By Anissa September 20, 2010 at 6:19 am

Thanks for sharing! I love making learning fun for the kids! You have such great ideas! Today we will start your letter of the week curriculum.

• Mama Jenn September 20, 2010 at 8:20 am

Erica!!! This ALL looks like SOOOOO much fun! I can't wait to use your curriculum next year!!!!!!! I simply CANNOT wait!!!!!!!!!!

• MamaofMany September 20, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Wow, this looks great. You are definitely an inspiration to me (a very very newbie!)Thanks for sharing and for the great pics to go along with the post!

• Eileen September 20, 2010 at 11:46 pm

WOW!!! The "Great Wall of China" was cool, i loved that. I wonder is it too young to teach geography for my 2 year old daughter?Thumb up, Great Job!!!EileenSingapore

• The Adventurer September 21, 2010 at 12:40 am

WOW that is a lot. I am very impressed. I am not nearly as creative as you are:(Anna-Marie

• Cara (aka Temberton) September 21, 2010 at 11:03 am

What a great week! Loved the Great Wall of China! When we lived in Japan, I joined the Cultural Exchange Club. One time, the Japanese ladies took the American ladies to a paper factory. We each got to make our own paper. So cool! Too bad we don't live there now, since all of my kids are old enough to explore and learn. 🙂

1 2