Expedition Earth: Brazil

Oi! Welcome to our week on Brazil, we had so much fun with this week, my kids have been waiting for the rain forest craft since August!

IMG_0954

Here are some more of the things we covered this week:

• Located Brazil & the Atlantic Ocean on the map and completed our worksheet
  • How to say “Hello” in Portuguese – Oi’!
  • Prayed for the Brazilian people
  • Read Children Just Like Me Book
  • Made Brigadeiros (Yummy chocolate balls)
  • Completed a lapbook activity
  • Learned about and classified 6 animals of Brazil
  • Geography from A-Z Vocab: jungle, River, Meander
  • Living World Encyclopedia: Learned all about the rain Forest
  • Created an awesome Rain Forest diorama! (pics below)
  • Tried to play soccer, but had to do it inside as we had snow all week!
  • Learned about the 2nd Wonder of the World: Christ the Redeemer Statue
  • Tried to finish our week with a traditional Brazilian meal, but didn’t feel like driving clear downtown LOL! Oh well…it’s the thought that counts!
  • Read Afternoon on the Amazon by Mary Pope Osborne. This is a Matic Gree House book and the kids absolutely LOVED it! I highly recommend!

Here are some of the highlights of the week:

We start each week stamping our passports:

IMG_0956

Here’s my whiteboard for the week: We review the facts each day along with locations & capitals of previously learned countries.

IMG_0957

We learned about the flag of Brazil and completed a mapping worksheet as well.

IMG_0959

We worked on our mini-lapbooks:

IMG_1004

Learned all about some fun animals of Brazil, and added them to our animal wall:

IMG_0974

Made a fun Brazilian Rainforest Diorama! Instructions are in my Expedition Earth curriculum and I’ll post on it later this week as well!

IMG_0983

If you have a Botanical Gardens near you, I encourage you to go and “SEE” the rainforest plants in real life. They’re so beautiful and HUGE! Everything was so big and colorful, it really helped to give an idea of what it’s like in the rainforest!

Well that wraps up our week on Brazil! Stay tuned as we head over to Panama next week!

Click here to learn more about the Expedition Earth Geography curriculum!

If you’re using Expedition Earth, click below to link up!

• Nice March 22, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Hi! I was so happy when I saw your project about Brazil. It was fantastic but you wrote "Brigaderiros" (Yummy chocolate balls) . The correct word is brigadeiro or brigadeiros (plural)Congratulations about your site

• Melanie March 22, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Do you think that Expedition Earth would be appropriate for kindergarten? Or would it be better to wait until 1st grade?me @ livinwithme . com

• gisele.artes March 22, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Hi, I´m from Brasil, if you want to know what kind of music kids listen to, you can go here: http://www.palavracantada.com.br/final/index.asp my kids love them!love, your blog!giselewww.kidsindoors.blogspot.com

• Confessions Of A Homeschooler March 22, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Gisele: Thanks for the link :o)Melanie: I think its fine for K – 3rd grade. My preschooler even did it with us this year, I just didn't make her do any of the handwriting, but she learned all the countries, things about them and did all the coloring, cutting, crafts, and cooking stuff :o) She can also tell you how to say hello in most languages we've learned so far.

• Confessions Of A Homeschooler March 22, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Nice: Thanks, fixed it! :o)

• Diane March 23, 2011 at 1:33 am

Thanks for posting about Expedition Earth from Knowledge Quest. We are actually looking at this for Geography for the new school year. Love your rainforest crafts.BlessingsDiane

• Suzanne March 23, 2011 at 5:31 am

Erica, I recently downloaded your animals unit to supplement your geography curriculum (which is wonderful) but I don't see the sentences anywhere. Are they included or did I miss downloading something?Thanks, Suzanne in MI

• Confessions Of A Homeschooler March 23, 2011 at 8:27 am

Dianne: I'm NOT using Expedition Earth from Knowledge Quest, I am using my own curriculum titled Expedition Earth $15:http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/blog/2010/08/expedition-earth-journey-through-gods.html Knowledge Quest stole the title to my curriculum and is using it for their own. Mine has been out since Aug of last year, they just released theirs. I did contact them and they apologized but said they would not change their title.Thanks, Erica @ http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com

• Confessions Of A Homeschooler March 23, 2011 at 8:30 am

Suzanne, you may have downloaded the one with just lines for older kids to find their own facts. The one with sentences to trace are here:http://www.4shared.com/account/document/iyXaSzdw/ExpeditionEarthAnimals.html