Expedition Earth: New Zealand
Kia ora! Welcome to our Expedition Earth week on New Zealand! We started off by stamping our passports!
- Where New Zealand is on the world map & located Wellington
- Learned a New Zealand song
- How to say “Hello” in Maori! Kia ora!
- Learned about the New Zealand Flag and colored our worksheet
- Prayed for the New Zealand people
- About children in New Zealand
- Read Living World Encyclopedia on Islands
- Learned more about New Zealand from National Geographic Kids
- Completed a New Zealand lap book activity
- Completed and classified animals of New Zealand
- Created a New Zealand whizzer craft
- Learned new Geography vocab.
- Read the Usborne Encyclopedia of World Geography on New Zealand and Papua New Guinea
- Learned major landmarks and other fun facts about New Zealand
We start off each week by reviewing all of the countries learned so far. Everyone gets a turn at the map, and I ask random questions like how do you say hello in that language, what language do they speak, what is the capital city, etc.
Here is my whiteboard for the week:
We worked on our maps and flags notebook pages:
I had to take a close up of our mini book this week, take a look at my daughter’s favorite thing about New Zealand…if you can’t read it she wrote “Miss Erica the teacher!”
We made a fun New Zealand whizzer craft. It didn’t really make the whizzing sound, but it was still fun.
We learned about 6 fun animals from New Zealand, man they have some big bugs there!
I think the fact that we’re nearing the end of the year is starting to effect my kids a little…
Since there were only 2 countries in our Oceania section, we did our review worksheet.
We had some fun surfing around learning more about New Zealand from National Geographic Kids