Homemade Ice Cream Recipe
I’ve never made homemade ice cream before, but after the Ice Cream Science Kit we were on a mission to create our own yummy creamy goodness!
Enter the Cuisinart ICE-21 Ice Cream and Sorbet Maker! Oh yeah, this thing seriously ROCKS!
I made 2 recipes, one came with the ice cream maker and one I found online. It was very easy:
- 4 Cups half and half
- 1 –14oz can EAGLE BRAND® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix well. Refrigerate 1-2 hours or overnight.
- Turn on ice cream maker and pour mixture into maker. Let mixer run 20 minutes. (Of course if you have a different ice cream maker, you’ll need to follow their instructions)
- This yields a soft serve ice cream similar to the one seen below. If you desire a more frozen consistency, freeze for a few hours. Keep left overs frozen.
TIP: We were a little eager and didn’t wait for our Cuisinart canister to freeze all the way prior to trying it out. Yeah, that’s not a good idea, it didn’t work at all! So make sure to let your ice cream canister freeze completely, Cuisinart recommended 8-16 hours! I’m just warning you so you don’t think you can run to the store, buy a maker, and come home and have ice cream right away.
Anyway, I wouldn’t believe it until I saw it. Then, just like the instructions said, 20 minutes later (this time using a properly frozen canister) this happened…
And then this happened….
WOW! Total success! I’m not sure why, but I just didn’t believe that spinning cream around would turn it to actual ice cream, but it SO did!
And now I’m off to run a few miles so I can make some more and not feel too guilty! Plus its gotta be better for you without all those extra preservatives, additives and artificial sweeteners. I also wanted to stay away from things with raw eggs in them just because I’m not so sure that’s great for little kiddos.
Incase you don’t like the recipe above, you can try this one, it’s not as “rich” in flavor, but would probably be a good base to add flavoring to:
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 Tablespoons sugar or honey
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla
Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix well. Refrigerate 1-2 hours or overnight. Freeze according to your ice cream maker’s manufacturers instructions! Enjoy!