Hi friends! Today I’m going to show you how to make a really fun and easy patchwork quilted tote bag. It’s super cute and beginner friendly too!
Watch my Quilted Patchwork Tote Bag Tutorial here!
Download the Patchwork Tote PDF Pattern here!
- 5 fat quarters OR scraps to fit sizes mentioned below. (I used Farmer’s Daughter by LellaBoutique for Moda)
- 1 Moda Mini-Charm pack OR 42 – 2.5” x 2.5” squares
- Cotton Batting
- Olfa Splash 45mm Rotary Trimmer
- Creative Grids Acrylic Ruler
- American Crafts Self-healing mat
- Sewing Pins
- Clover Wonder Clips
- 505 Spray Adhesive
- Panasonic NI-WL600 Cordless Iron
Outside fabric: If creating your own unique outside fabric, final measurement should be about 14.5” x 27”
- Top fabric: Cut two pieces 3.5” x 14.5”
- Patchwork section: 1 Moda Mini-Charm pack OR 42 – 2.5” x 2.5” squares
- Bottom: Cut one piece 9” x 14.5”
- Cut two pieces 13.5” x 14.5”. (If you’re using fat quarters like I am cut two pieces of 10.5” x 14.5” and two pieces of 3.5” x 14.5”)
- Cut two 4” x 22” strips
- Cut one 7” x 11.5” piece
Batting: (For a bag that holds its shape better you can use fusible fleece or Fusible Foam stabilizer. )
- Outside piece: 30” x 16”
- Pocket piece: 5-1/4” x 6 3/4”
- Strap pieces: Two 1-1/4” x 22” strips
Finished bag size: 12” h x 13.5” w
Here are some more fun quilting tutorials for you!
Disclosure: Some links above are affiliate links. Thank you so much for supporting my blog in this way!
The measurement for the batting pocket piece seems to be incorrect. 5-1/4″ x 6 3/4″ is not large enough for a 9″ X 11 1/2″ pocket. Shouldn’t it be 8-1/2 X 6 3/4″ ?
Sorry, actually the pocket size should be 7″ x 11.5″, not 9″ x 11.5″. So the batting sizes are actually correct. Thanks for letting me know about the typo, it’s fixed now.
Are most of your sewing seams 1/4”? Do you have written instructions as well as the video?
I am going to sew bag great to use up scraps
I would also love to have the written pattern, thanks
Thanks for the request, I’ll see if I can get one written up. I didn’t do one for this originally, so it’s just the video instructions right now 🙂
Hello, Thank you for this tutorial! I made this one for a penpal: https://www.instagram.com/p/CNi5hTsjuOj/