Rainbow Crayons

Wanna keep a couple kids busy for about 30 minutes? Give ‘em a stack of old broken crayons and have them peel and break them into tiny pieces so you can make some Rainbow Crayons for your Prek Letter R for Rainbow curriculum!

IMG_2804

Supplies:

• used, broken crayons no one likes to use anymore!
  • metal muffin pan

IMG_2808

Instructions:

• Preheat oven to 250 degrees
  • Fill muffin tin with chunks of peeled broken crayons (For our rainbow theme we mixed lots of colors together! They were really fun to draw with)
  • Put muffin pan in oven for about 8-10 minutes or until crayons are melted.

IMG_2810

• Once crayons are cooled, pop them out of your muffin pan for some fun rainbow coloring! Super easy and the kids love ‘em. And look how nicely they stack for storage! (ps…they came out of my muffin tin very easily…I only note this because I was slightly concerned about getting my pan cleaned…)

IMG_2845 IMG_2847

• welcome to our wonderland January 10, 2010 at 4:09 pm

great crayons! my girls don't like them when we've made them. can you believe it! I love them! 🙂

• Christine January 10, 2010 at 4:12 pm

I'm glad you posted this. It's something I've been meaning to try but never got around to.

• Anabelle January 10, 2010 at 4:15 pm

I made these with my 3 1/2 year old this summer and they were a huge hit… just be sure to wash the muffin tin extra well afterwards… My next batch of muffins had a distinctive albeit not entirely unpleasant Crayola after taste. 😉

• Deborah (Teach Preschool) January 10, 2010 at 4:33 pm

It would really be cute if you could also find muffin pans with a variety of shapes.

• Confessions of a Homeschooler January 10, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Oh yes, shaped muffin tins, great idea! That would help with points on the crayon too, they're a tad hard to color with when round like this, but the kids loved them anyway!

• The Activity Mom January 10, 2010 at 5:36 pm

I've made some shapes with the silicon ice cube trays and those DON'T come clean. =( Good to know I could use a metal tin and get it clean!

• Confessions of a Homeschooler January 10, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Good to know NOT to use silicone, I almost did!

• ...they call me mommy... January 10, 2010 at 6:24 pm

GREAT idea!! Now I know what to do with those random crayon pieces instead of throwing them! THANKS! 🙂

• Ticia January 11, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Another great week of ideas.

• SkylarKD January 12, 2010 at 6:18 am

We made these over the holidays to give as Christmas gifts to some of my daughter's little friends. They turned out great!

1 2