Calendar Time

We start each day with group time which includes our calendar activities. Several of the printouts you see here are part of my Letter of the Week curriculum. Here is what our “calendar area” looks like and some of our activities:

(Calendar and numbers are from Lakeshore Learning, I can’t find it on their site, but found it at Teacher Storehouse)

Pledge of Allegiance

Memory Verse Review: Click here for my A-Z memory verses

ABC Song

Days of the Week song: (To the tune of Adam’s Family”)

• Days of the week (clap clap)
  • Days of the week (clap clap)
  • Days of the week (clap clap)
  • Days of the week, Days of the week, Days of the week
  • There’s Sunday and there’s Monday,
  • there’s Tuesday & there’s Wednesday,
  • there’s Thursday & there’s Friday
  • and then there’s Saturday!
  • Days of the week (clap, clap)

Month’s of the Year song: (To the Macarena)

• January (Right hand out)
  • February (Left hand out)
  • March (Right hand palm up)
  • And April (Left hand palm up)
  • May (Right hand on left shoulder)
  • June (Left hand on right shoulder)
  • July (Right hand on right ear)
  • And August (Left hand on left ear)
  • September (Right hand on left hip)
  • October (Left hand on right hip)
  • November (Right hand on right hip)
  • December (Left hand on left hip)
  • 12 months in a year! (Hop in circle as singing)

Count our calendar:
Put up today’s number on calendar along with appropriate colored chain link to continue our pattern for the month and count from 1 up to today’s date (1-11 in the below picture), then say the date: “Today is Thursday, March 11, 2010”
IMG_3933

Today/Yesterday/Tomorrow: We discuss what today is, what yesterday was, and what tomorrow will be and update our chart:
IMG_3930

Chart the Weather: Each day we chart the weather and discuss appropriate clothing, whether it is cold or hot outside. Then fill in a square on our Weather Graph. At the end of the month we discuss which type of weather we had the most of, least of etc.
IMG_3931 graphjpg

Seasons Chart: We don’t do this daily, but we do discuss the name of the season when we chart our weather and appropriate clothing. We talk about what kind of activities we do during each season as well.

seasons copy

Address: We review our Address and Phone Numbers:

For song & movement time we use one of these fun ideas:

• rainbowmummy April 22, 2010 at 11:24 am

Thanks for sharing! I just started a calander folder this month and Egg is loving it, but thanks to this post I am going to add in an address page! I'll let you know when I have posted it, I was going to do it earlier, however my poor lap top has a virus and I lost everything so I am trying to work on other halfs (get camera set up etc).Ps I printed, laminated and cut out "subtract it!" and cut out "add it". Took forever…Really if you are going to offer printables on your site, you'll have to come up with a way for them to come out of my printer all cut up :Pxx

• Carrie April 22, 2010 at 11:47 am

I don't often comment, but I love your blog SO much! You and Carisa from 1+1+1=1 are such an encouragement to me – I love seeing all that you're able to do with homeschooling and home preschooling, and I just love it. Your curriculum is amazing – I love being able to look through all that's available! I hope to start a teeny bit more structured preschool-type activities with my son this fall (he'll be 3, and he's ready for more learning) as well as a calendar time. Thank you for sharing!

• sbswtp April 22, 2010 at 12:29 pm

omg, that is the best days of the week song ever!!!! thank you for sharing it!!!!!!

• Mamastiks April 22, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I like the "yesterday – today – tomorrow" chart. I have a large fabric calendar from lillyskids.com that we use for the day, date, month, year, season, and weather. The girls love it – and remind me when I forget that I have to do "the day."

• Confessions Of A Homeschooler April 22, 2010 at 12:59 pm

RainbowMummy: LOL I loved your comment on my post about figuring out how to get my printables to come off your printer all cut up! I would love a laminating & cutting fairy over here too!

• Christina April 22, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Love love love your calendar area. Where did you get that? I would love to hang one up and work on the months, days & days of the week with my daughter.

• Confessions Of A Homeschooler April 22, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I got the calendar poster & numbers at Lakeshore Learning, then I put little Velcro dots on it for each day. Then I put Velcro dots on the backs of the number cards as well. I’d imagine you could get it at any teacher supply store though!

• Ticia April 22, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Okay, love the idea of the macarena one…… And, what you didn't want to share your phone number with the whole world?

• melanie April 23, 2010 at 11:27 am

Thanks for the songs. I'm convinced my son can learn anything if it is put into a song.

• JeN April 23, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Hello! I love this post! I tried to find that exact calendar on Lakeshore but couldn't find it. How long ago did you get it? THANKS!

1 2 3 5