Expedition Earth ~ South Korea

Ahn-yong-ha-seh-yo! We had a great week learning about South Korea, my preschooler especially liked the song this week, the vibrato was right up her alley!

IMG_0024

I apologize for the lack of pictures for this week, but the unthinkable happened on day 3…that’s right…I dropped my camera on the hard wood floor and well…let’s just say it’s apparently not okay to do that.

First I panicked, next I tried desperately to fix it, then I called my mommy crying and she happened to have a spare camera which she so kindly donated to our cause. Thanks MOM!

But despite this sadly lacking in photos post, we did have fun week!

We worked on our Animal Unit lapbook components:

IMG_6786

Here is everyone displaying their favorite animal:

IMG_6793

We added our animals to the Classification Wall:

We did our lapbook activity:

IMG_6790

And we made jeweled crowns:

IMG_0023

Here are some more of the things we learned about this week some of which will sadly only exist in our memories now:

• Completed our Mapping Worksheet
  • Learned the South Korean song
  • Prayed for the country
  • Learned how to say hello in Korean
  • Learned about the flag and colored our worksheet
  • Learned about Children in Korea
  • Made a jeweled crown
  • Played Rock Paper Scissors “Kawi, bawi, bo”
  • Completed our S. Korea Lapbook component
  • Made korean BBQ Beef
  • And Stamped our passports!

Click here if you’d like to follow along with our Expedition Earth Geography Curriculum Journey!

• The Homeschool Den September 28, 2010 at 5:47 am

Erica,I always love reading what you've been up to. What a wonderful geography curriculum you've put together for the kids this year. Well done and as always, thanks for sharing such creative resources with everyone!Liesl

• Joyful Learner September 28, 2010 at 8:58 am

I was born in South Korea so I had to stop by and say Ahn-yong-ha-seh-yo! 🙂 Great studies!

• Stacy McCabe September 28, 2010 at 10:27 am

We loved this study. My boys loved the song and the Korean beef was a hit. Thanks for all your work in putting these lessons together.

• Stacy McCabe September 28, 2010 at 10:27 am

• Deb Chitwood September 28, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Great ideas! I love that you share so many wonderful ideas and activities on your blog – and it’s always fun to read what your family is learning. I gave you the Sunshine Award at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2010/09/28/versatile-blogger-award-and-sunshine-award-to-happily-pass-on/

• Blessings, Jennifer September 28, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Oh how I love your blog, you have been a blessing to our family! But I must ask, what do you do with your toddler while the other kids are doing school? I have a 3 year old and am doing your letter of the week curriculum and my 1 1/2 year old doesn't understand that we are doing school yet and just gets into everything. Then I just give up and we all go outside and play. Do I have to high expectations for my kids, or are they the only kids that get into everything? Any advice/wisdom would be great, I thank God that he has sent other, more experienced, mothers before me and I get to learn from them!

• Janeen September 28, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Oh how funny that I stumbled on your blog today. I spent 14 months in South Korea and my husband and four year old daughter are still over there but will be returning soon. I have pictures and things I can send and my husband has some videos of our daughter on YouTube. I know your unit is over but if you want to hear a little about it from an American having been over there (and we lived in the general population, not on a military base as my husband is over there teaching English), let me know. I came back early to have my youngest daughter so that is why I am here and they are not. Oh and if you are interested in some Korean money, let me know! I'll see what I can do.

• Confessions Of A Homeschooler September 28, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Jennifer: I do tot school with my toddler, you can read about her adventures here, and YES she still gets into everything!http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/blog/tag/teeny-tiny-tot-school Also, we do half of it with her in the morning then she takes a nap and we do the rest of school without her getting into everything!

• Confessions Of A Homeschooler September 28, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Janeen: I would LOVE to hear more about S. Korea! Email me at homeschoolerconfessions@gmail.comThanks!

• Mel September 28, 2010 at 7:46 pm

I think this is awesome you did this. I am half korean myself and when my kids were in kindergarten when they had a heritage day we always did something korean related. Mmm love me some bulgogi, chop chei and kimchee stew! http://www.heismybeloved.blogspot.com

1 2