Jelly Roll Rug Tips and Tutorial!

Hi everyone! I’ve had a ton of requests for a Jelly Roll Rug tutorial and so I’ve partnered with Roma Quilts to bring you this fun and easy tutorial along with my tips for sewing the Jelly Roll Rug!

Watch my Jelly Roll Rug Tutorial here!

I used 1 Full Jelly Roll and the finished size was approx. 29″ x 44″. But you can use more or less strips depending on what size you want your rug! This pattern is super customizable 🙂

Supplies:

My Sewing Machines:

jellyrollrug2

jellyrollrug3

I hope those tips help and I would love to see your projects! If you post them on social media make sure to tag Roma Quilts and myself on Instagram so we can see what you’ve made!

Note: I’ve had so many questions about the quilt on the wall behind me! The barn blocks are from Lori Holt’s Farm Girl Vintage book, and the baby pig, cow, and cat blocks are Lori Holt as well and can be purchased from Fat Quarter Shop.

• Jennifer June 28, 2018 at 2:02 pm

Thank you so much! I have had this pattern for a while but have been too afraid to start. Your video has helped so much, starting it tonight!

• erica June 29, 2018 at 9:59 am

You’re welcome, hope you enjoy the pattern it’s really a fun project!

• Toni July 16, 2018 at 11:18 pm

WOW really. So there might be a little advertising, so what. It was a very nice demonstration and I learned alot. Can’t wait to start making a jelly roll rug thanks to Mrs. Arndt. Thank you for making it very easy to follow.
    And to Beckys comment, I hope you wake up on the right side of the bed next time and may God bless you with happy thoughts and a better day.

• Robin Reilly July 24, 2018 at 9:05 am

Hi Erica!
    I shared this post on my FB page.

robin 😊

• Mary August 5, 2018 at 8:55 am

Thank you. I’m making a rug now with my strip scraps.

• Lana August 10, 2018 at 8:25 pm

What jelly roll fabric did you use? Is it a Bonnie and Camille jelly roll? If so, which one ? Thanks!

• erica August 14, 2018 at 10:56 am

I used Vintage Picnic by Bonnie and Camille 🙂

• Graylagran August 14, 2018 at 6:34 pm

Thank you for the wonderful tutorial ! Can you tell me the size of your extension table? I got a new machine and am contemplating getting an extension table instead of a table with insert. I’m not sure what size table would be good for quilting free motion and with rulers. My machine has 10” to the right of the needle (Bernina 740). 😊 thank you.

• Susan August 22, 2018 at 3:00 pm

Hi there!
    I love the rug you are picturing at the top of this page. What material is this? It looks different than the vintage picnic that you said you used in the video tutorial. I just love the one that is pictured on this main page with the navy on the outside and red towards the middle! Thanks!

• erica August 28, 2018 at 2:28 pm

The first one I made that is light blue, green, tan is Nest by LellaBoutique for Moda, isn’t it pretty! The Navy with red on the center is Vintage Picnic by Bonnie and Camille for Moda.

• Sherilyn Hoyt August 30, 2018 at 2:14 pm

I am having difficulty zigzagging my tubing together. My machine (Janome DC3018) is skipping stitches on the right side of the zigzag. I have changed needles (size 14 and 16), changed threads (40 and 50), cleaned the bobbin case thoroughly, and shortened my stitch width. I also spoke with my LQS where they had similar problems. Any suggestions?

• erica September 4, 2018 at 3:26 pm

Mine did that as well initially, make sure you adjust your tension and also using a denim needle can help.

• Lizz September 11, 2018 at 6:25 am

Are you limited in size? I’d like to make a very large rug for my living room. I see most of the jelly roll rugs are smaller ovals. Is this possible or should I look at alternative rug styles?

• erica September 12, 2018 at 11:06 am

You can make them any size you like 🙂

• Anne September 13, 2018 at 3:27 pm

Can you join the batting to the strips while your joining the strips?

1 2