This was a total experiment, but it worked out well. We made small doll blankets since there was A LOT of knotting required here. And really its for 6yrs and up I’d say. My 3yr old couldn’t tie the knots so I ended up doing most of her blanket. However, it was excellent tying practice for my
six 7 year old.
- Fun colored fleece (I got 1yd per color, yield: 3 doll blankets)
- A cutting mat
- A clear ruler
- Cut fleece into 14” squares (For doll blanket I only used 4 squares)
- Lay 2 opposite colors of felt on top of each other and cut fringe along edges: cut 3” deep into fleece every 1” along edges (a 3×3 corner piece should come off leaving you with the image below:
- Lay your cut pieces next to each other like you want them to be (see above right photo).
- Starting with 2 squares tie knots with the strips of fleece. DO NOT TIE CENTER STRIPS YET
- Once all 4 squares are tied together EXCEPT center strips, these will be tied diagonally to opposing strips. So for example, I tied both pieces of heart fleece together, then both pieces of striped fleece together. You do this so there isn’t a hole in the center.
- Once all 4 squares are tied together, start tying the edges. You can either tie 2 strips next to each other together, or tie each one individually into a knot. I tried both ways, and it really doesn’t seem to matter much.
- If you happen to have a 5 year old master knot-tier, they can come in handy here…also, its a great outlet for their desire to knot everything, thus leaving your shoe laces “un-knotted”.
Note: The edges were more difficult to tie, so I ended up helping quite a bit with this part.
This is a variation on full sized no-sew fleece blankets, which are so awesome! They’re super soft, and super warm! Here’s how to make full sized blankets
TIP: If you’re going to be making the large blankets, I’d highly recommend getting a clear quilting ruler, and one of these rotary cutters. SO MUCH EASIER! Considering I’ve made blankets for the entire family, it was well worth the money. Here are the supplies I used:
- Fiskars Rotary Cutter
- Fiskars 3-Inch-by-18-inch Clear Acrylic Quilting Ruler
- Self Healing Rotary Cutting Mat