Welcome to day 9 of the 2012 ~ 10 Days of Homeschooling Blog Hop! This year my topic is 10 Days of Classic Literature. Over the 10 day series I am releasing one unit study each day, for a total of 10 units you can go through with your students!
Psst….GIVEAWAY ALERT!…at the end of the blog hop I’ll be offering a Giveaway for the ENTIRE set of Classical Literature unit studies, so make sure to enter at the bottom of this post!
Each unit study contains educational lessons, activities and a fun lap book that your students will work on as they progress through the book. They also include book reports, vocabulary, critical thinking, story timelines, and comprehension. These studies are geared towards grades Kindergarten-4th, but can probably be adapted for older students as well.
I really designed these units to be a fun addition to reading the classics. I didn’t want them to be too stressful for myself or my kiddos, but instead give them something fun to do along with the stories to help them remember what they’ve learned in a fun hands-on way. The lap books included are wonderful for reviewing subject matter, and a great creative interactive homeschooling tool.
And without any further ado…here is today’s unit:
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
Treasure Island is a high-seas adventure set in the eighteenth century, and is the ultimate pirates tale of buried treasure! It is known for its atmosphere, characters, and action. Morality is a key issue in this novel as displayed by the various characters. It chronicles the adventures of young Jim Hawkins as he discovers a legendary pirate treasure map from the infamous Captain Fling. Jim’s friends set up a sea voyage in search of the treasure. As they set sail, mutiny breaks out aboard the Hispaniola, and a race to find the treasure ensues! The story has a series of exciting battles of both strength and wits.
Treasure Island is described as a “swashbuckling tale of heroes and villains” and remains one of the most widely read books in the history of children’s literature.
CAUTION: While never graphic in nature, this story does include quite a bit of sword fights. There are several bad guys, and lots of good ones too, some meeting an early death.
In this unit students will learn all about pirates, clothing, moral codes, pirate ships and more!
They will make their own pirate “booty”, do a character study, learn about parrots, create a secrete treasure map, learn to read a compass, and of course learn some pirate vocabulary!
The units also include forms for predicting story plots, character analysis, identifying the protagonist and antagonist, a story timeline, and a final book report on the novel.
Get your copy today and start learning with classic literature!
Can’t wait? You can get the whole set of 10 Classical Literature Units at a discount! Click below:
Since I love to give things away for free, I’m offering a giveaway for all 10 Literature units!
Simple leave a comment below to enter to win! I’ll be choosing 1 winner from all 10 days of comments, so make sure to come back and leave a comment for each study release!
Additional Optional Entries: (not required to win, leave a separate comment on this post for each additional entry)
- Join my Google+ Circle!
- Like Confessions on Facebook
- Subscribe via email to Confessions of a Homeschooler or Subscribe via RSS
- Follow Confessions on Twitter
- Tweet about this giveaway, feel free to copy the text below:
Enter to win the Classic Lit Unit Pack from @ericahomeschool! Enter thru 4/27/11! /?p=8243
Nitty Gritty Giveaway Details:
- The give away will be open until midnight EST Friday April 27, 2012. Winner will be announced by Monday April 30, 2012.
- No purchase necessary to win.
- Must be 18 years of age or older to enter.
- If prize winner forfeits or does not claim the prize, prize will be re-awarded at my sole discretion.
- Void where prohibited by law.
- Make sure to leave a separate comment for each entry, winner will be chosen at random!
- This giveaway is offered to US residents only!
- Odds of winning based on number of entries.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.
- NOTE: In order to enter the contest you must leave a comment on my blog post. To leave a comment scroll to the bottom of the post and fill in the “Speak Your Mind” form. (If you are reading this via RSS, you will need to visit my actual blog to post a comment.)
- Disclosure: I am offering a pack of all 10 unit studies for giveaway on my blog.
Click any of the buttons below to visit my 10 Day Series posts!
The 10 Days Series is organized by iHomeschool Network, a collaboration of outstanding homeschool bloggers who connect with each other and with family-friendly companies in mutually beneficial projects. Visit us on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter. And of course, click the image below to visit all the 10 Days posts from these homeschool moms of the iHomeschool Network.
With 28 blogs participating that’s 280 posts packed full of great educational activities for your family!