This is an easy recipe and fun to make! I made the super spicy chili for my husband for day 2 of The Love Dare since its his favorite!
Green Chili Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds cubed pork stew meat (I used chicken)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can diced green Chile peppers, drained (I used fresh hatch chili)
- 1/2 (3.5 ounce) can chopped jalapeno peppers
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 5 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 3 1/2 cups water
- onion salt to taste
- garlic salt to taste
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in cubed pork, and cook until nicely browned and cooked through, about 15 minutes. Remove skillet from heat, and allow to cool briefly.
- Sprinkle flour over pork. With a wooden spoon, stir pork to coat, scraping the bottom of the skillet to loosen browned bits. Add chile peppers, jalapenos, and onions. Stir in tomato sauce and water. Season to taste with onion salt, garlic salt, and salt and pepper.
- Return skillet to medium heat. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cover, and cook 10 minutes more.
While Chile is cooking, prepare tortilla dough!
Erica’s Tortilla Ingredients:
- 4 cups flour (Can use Regular or Whole Wheat Flour, today I did 1/2 and 1/2)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons powdered milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 tablespoons Crisco (Can substitute with 1/2 c olive oil, but they are much denser)
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
Mix dry ingredients, add shortening, and mix thoroughly. Add water and mix well.
Shape dough into egg size balls. Place on floured board. Cover with wax paper. Let stand for 20 minutes before rolling out. Fry in dry hot skillet or Villaware Tortilla Maker over medium heat, flipping once each side is lightly browned.
Flour Tortilla Recipe #2 (here’s one with no Crisco!)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (Can substitute regular flour)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2/3 cup warm water
Directions: Mix together by hand, let sit covered 30 minutes. Roll into 12 balls and press with tortilla press or roll out with rolling pin. Cook both sides on a warm skillet until lightly browned.
Erica’s Chocolate Cream Pie Recipe:
Just because it was ‘be kind to one another’ day, I finished the meal off with a homemade chocolate cream pie, fairly low calorie by the way!
If you’re curious…
- 1 Large Package fat-free, sugar-free Jello Instant Chocolate Pudding mix
- 1 container fat-free cool whip whipped topping
- 1 package honey graham crackers
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large zip-lock bag, crush 1 package of graham crackers. (I use my rolling pin). Spread out crumbs in 9” pie plate. Pour melted butter over crumbs and mix in with a fork. Carefully press crumbs along bottom and sides of plate. Bake at 350 degrees approx 7-8 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
Mix pudding according to package. Cafefully fold in approx 3/4 of cool whip topping. Pour mixture into pie crust and refrigerate until ready to serve. Use remaining cool whip and dab a dollop on top of pie pieces when served.