China Craft ~ Handmade Paper

This week for our study ofChina we made handmade paper! It was surprisingly easy, so if you were fearful, let me assure you that YOU CAN DO IT!

Supplies:

• Blender
  • Shredded or torn paper
  • Water
  • 2 Felt sheets (You will sandwich paper between felts, so if you want to make more than one sheet of paper, you’ll need more felt sheets)
  • Window Screen (I found this small one at Lowe’s)
  • Large plastic basin for water and pulp mixture
  • dishtowels

IMG_6546

Directions:

STEP 1: Fill your blender about half way with shredded paper, then add water to blender until about 3/4 of the way full.

STEP 2: Blend paper/water mixture until pulpy

IMG_6551

STEP 3: Pour LOTS of water in your the large plastic basin then add in blended pulp. Mixture will be very watery.

STEP 4: Dip your screen into the water and gently swish under water until pulp is evenly distributed. Carefully lift up screen out of water. If you have a blank spot on your screen, you can start over, or grab a handful of pulp and put it on manually.

IMG_6553

STEP 5: Set screen over basin to drain for a few minutes.

IMG_6555IMG_6556

STEP 6: CAREFULLY flip your screen over onto felt sheet. Using dish towel, press all around back side of screen to lift more water and to press paper onto felt. We GENTLY rolled over the top just to flatten it out.

IMG_6557

IMG_6561

STEP 7: Slowly lift screen up from felt, paper should stick to felt sheet. Place another piece of felt on top of the paper like a sandwich. You can continue to layer paper/felt/paper/felt as many times as you like.

IMG_6558

STEP 8: Let paper dry overnight, I removed the top felt pieces to speed things up, but if you do that, you may need to lightly iron the paper through a dish towel to flatten it out.

STEP 9: Paint or decorate! We wrote our Mandarin numbers on our handmade paper!

China 002

Click here to see the rest of our China Activities!

Click here to learn more about the Expedition Earth Geography curriculum!

• child central station September 21, 2010 at 4:46 am

My little ones love the papermaking! I've never done it by placing the paper between felt sheets, We will have to try it out next time. I make our project last longer with all of the pulping done by hand, and I love to add petals, scraps of colored papers, seeds, etc. Looks like fun! http://childcentralstation.blogspot.com/2010/07/recycled-paper.html

• Christina AKA SuperMom September 21, 2010 at 6:58 am

Our preschooler and I hope to make paper sprinkled with seeds for gifts. But just the excitement of making her own paper will be a treat.

• schmobes September 21, 2010 at 7:46 am

You made that look easy! I have a bag of paper scraps waiting for us to try this, but I have always thought it would be hard! You have given me hope that we might actually be able to do it!

• Rebecca September 21, 2010 at 8:20 am

Very cool!!!

• Kelly Tillotson September 21, 2010 at 10:17 am

that is so neat!i saw this today and thought of you–you probably know about it and have something planned, but just in case I thought i'd send you the link:http://secretsofasupermommy.blogspot.com/2010/09/super-mommy-secretchinese-moon-festival.html*kelly

• Cara (aka Temberton) September 21, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Cool! Thanks for sharing!

• Michelle September 22, 2010 at 4:34 am

Oh wow I have been wanting to make some homemade paper with Emily now I am totally motivated!! Thanks for the great directions :0)

• Sippy Cup Central Mom September 22, 2010 at 7:13 am

We just made recycled paper last Friday, but this looks amazing. KarenSippy Cup Central Mom

• m September 22, 2010 at 6:31 pm

does this project ruin your blender? we have a china unit study this year and this would be a great addition! 🙂

• Confessions Of A Homeschooler September 22, 2010 at 8:26 pm

M: No it doesn't ruin the blender! I did swish most of the paper out before washing it out though, didn't want too much down my drain.