Chex Muddy Buddies

We made this yummy snack for our Keeper’s Meeting and it was such a big hit, I wanted to share it with you all as well!

IMG_6337

Not that you all haven’t made it before, but just incase (I mean the recipe IS right on the side of the Rice Chex box)

Ingredients:

IMG_6327

• 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 9 cups Rice Chex cereal
  • 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar

Directions:

STEP 1: Measure cereal in large bowl. Set aside.

IMG_6328

STEP 2: Put chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter in bowl and microwave for 1 minute on high. Stir. Cook for 30 seconds longer or until smooth.

IMG_6330

IMG_6329

STEP 3: Add vanilla to melted chocolate mixture and stir. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until coated.

IMG_6332

STEP 4: Add powdered sugark to bowl and stir until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in Ziploc bags or large sealed bowl.

STEP 5: Clean off spoon and anything else that may have touched the chocolate.

IMG_6334

STEP 6: Enjoy!

IMG_6337

• Michelle, Muffin Tin Mom October 17, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Muddy Buddies are my FAVORITE. I make them every year for Christmas and for my daughter's scooby doo birthday party I made them and called them "scooby snacks"

• Lindsay October 17, 2010 at 3:50 pm

oo yum! I haven't made this in a while and now feel like I need to soon! I made it for a puppy dog birthday party when my son turned 2 🙂

• LeighAnn October 17, 2010 at 4:03 pm

In the south we call it "white trash" and I've heard it called "puppy chow."

• The Mrs. October 17, 2010 at 4:45 pm

My sister-in-law made these a few times and my son the chocolate lover, loves them. I once promised him I'd make them (a looooong time ago) and totally forgot. Now that you reminded me I'll have to make some.

• Tiffany Johnson October 17, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Where I live they call it "puppy Chow" It is yummy isn't it.

• Jenny October 17, 2010 at 7:53 pm

I love these! I like to make a serving for myself for dinner sometimes! LOL! I leave out the butter/margarine and it tastes just fine.I was at Sam's Club today and saw that Chex now has bags of Muddy Buddies!

• Suz October 17, 2010 at 7:56 pm

I make this for my kids at least once a month. I find that pouring the powder sugar and the chex mix into a brown paper bag and shaking or putting the powder sugar and chex mix into a large food storage container and shaking—works well to coat the chex mix!!

• Infant Bibliophile October 17, 2010 at 9:15 pm

We have a tub of these on my counter right now — an allergy safe version. My son has multiple food allergies, and these adapt beautifully. Nobody who tastes them even realizes that they don't have peanut butter, so they're confused, knowing my son's allergies. We sub sunbutter for peanut butter, Earth Balance spread for butter, and use Enjoy Life chocolate chips (which are milk free). I know you don't need to know this, but I thought I'd share in case anyone else with food allergies happens upon it. Gluten free, dairy free, nut free, etc., and delicious. 🙂

• Kristina October 18, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Perfect! I was just looking for a recipe that didn't involve my mixer. While making pizza crust, my kitchen aid decided to stop working :(We homeschool and Wednesday is our cooking class day. We were going to make homemade pretzels, but this might work! Thanks for the idea!

• Katie's Nesting Spot October 19, 2010 at 10:40 pm

My mom got some of these from her boss at work one year at Christmas. We had no idea what they were called and weren't quite sure how to make them. We LOVED them and were so sad when they were all gone. I'm excited to tell my mom we can make our own this year! Thanks Erica!

1 2