DIY: Giant Bubble Wand!
What is it about giant bubbles that makes everyone squeal with glee? And I’m not just talking about the kids! Bubbles are seriously the ultimate cheap kids summer activity idea! Well, if that sounds fun to you, then you’ll want to try this. The Do-It-Yourself giant bubble wand!
(Please ignore the dead grass in the background…ugh…)
- 2 wooden dowels per student
- 2 hook and eye screws per student
- cotton string
- duct tape optional
1. Screw 1 hook and eye screw into the end of each dowel.
2. Using string, tie ends to each hook and eye screw at top of dowel, let remaining string hang down in a half circle shape and tie at bottom.
3. I cut my dowels in half to shorten them. To keep kids from getting splinters, I wrapped some pink duct tape on the ends. Plus they look pretty :o) Also, I suggest using smooth cotton string, mine was at the end of the spool, so it kept twisting up.
4. Dip string in bubbles making sure to soak well. Carefully lift out of bubbles and slowly pull sticks apart until string is taught. Gently pull through air to create huge bubbles!
Love the look on my son’s face in this one:
If there’s no breeze, you can also blow gently to help them get started! We had to move to the side of our house because there was too much wind and our bubbles were popping right out of the shoot!
Let the kids have a turn Dad!
No bubbles? Make your own!
- 1/2 gallon water
- 1/3 cup dawn dishwashing liquid
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup or sugar
No wooden dowels? Here’s a quick tutorial using straws and string. Hope you enjoyed this tutorial, let me know if you try it out. The kids will have so much fun!