Living Math Ideas: Unifix Sudoku

IMG_3490

I told you all that I was going to incorporate some Living Math ideas into our school year this round. I’m doing 4 days of our regular Math Curriculum, then one day of Living Math. As we go through them I plan to post on our games and activities, so here is our first one.

Today Strawberry Shortcake played a super fun game called Unifix Sudoku. The game is played using colored Unifix cubes instead of numbers.

This is a great way to work on spatial reasoning, problem solving, and patterning skills. Just like the regular numbered Sudoku, the kids have to make sure that there is one colored cube in each vertical and horizontal rows, then also within the smaller 6 cube square, you can’t duplicate a color in either of the rows.  There are a few blocks on the game board that have a color already in them, so those are the fixed cubes. The rest are movable. The games do come with an answer key, and they are suggested for ages 7 and up.

When we first started it, Strawberry Shortcake said to me “This is so easy mom, come on!”…then later I noticed her moving the little cubes around, then around again, then again. She finally got them all fixed and was so excited and proud of herself! It wasn’t as easy as she thought, but she worked her way through it and I love to see the little wheels in her head turning!

We both really liked this one, so we’ll play it again, and it’s easy enough that I can give it to my 2nd grader as well! Since I already had a set of Unifix Cubes, I purchased the  24 Set of Additional Sudoku Cards, but you can also get the full Unifix Sudoku Set, it comes with 36 Unifix Cubes, and 24 game cards.

math

For more ideas on Living Math, click the button above!

Click here for a Printable Version of our Living Math Schedule.

• Valerie McClintick September 13, 2011 at 12:13 am

Yeah, You got a set! They are lots of fun aren’t they…even my little Tot just likes to match up the colored squares to the cubes! Looking forward to the living math ideas 😉

Blessings,

Valerie

• Gidget @ Homeschooling Unscripted September 13, 2011 at 3:55 am

I LOVE this idea – Can’t wait to check out your other Living Math resources. Isn’t it funny how they say that something is so easy, but as they get into it, it’s more challenging than they thought? makes me chuckle…

• Rachel E. September 13, 2011 at 4:13 am

This looked so grand, I snatched up one of the last six at Amazon! This is a wonderful idea!

• Crisc September 13, 2011 at 7:27 am

I just love your site! I helped recruit a person to homeschool by showing her your site =)

• L2L September 13, 2011 at 8:51 am

I added this to my wish list!!!!! BTW our homeschool group is having alot of fun with your Expedition Earth!!!! And were finally able to get HD to print, sigh!!!!! What a mess, anyway there is so much information that it keeps our little ones busy the whole 50 minutes!!!!

• Angelika September 13, 2011 at 9:53 am

What a great idea. I also love her Jesus Loves You Berry much tshirt!

• island girl September 13, 2011 at 10:50 am

Ohhh, lots of fun…and learning 🙂 great post

• April September 13, 2011 at 11:57 am

This looks so fun. My daughter would love this! Thanks for sharing, I am looking forward to trying this one out. Ps. my son is loving the Letter of the Week curriculum!

• Cindy September 13, 2011 at 8:48 pm

This is awesome! I hope you’ll post it at Math Monday’s Blog Hop!

• Wendy September 14, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Love the Tshirt and thanks to the ebay international my little girl (and her friend) will soon be wearing one too!! Yipee!

1 2