Summer Boredom Busters: Sponge Fun

Welcome to easy Summer Boredom Busters for kids! Today we’re having fun with sponges!

spongefun

IMG_2050

I found this fun idea at Make and Takes today and wanted to give it a try!

Supplies:

• Some colorful household sponges (3 sponges per ball)
  • Scissors
  • Dental Floss or zip-ties
  • Paint
  • Blue construction paper
  • Some willing participants

IMG_2028

Directions:

Step 1: Cut the sponge in quarters. I started by cutting one sponge in half lengthwise.

IMG_2031

Next I cut each of those halves in half again so you end up cutting 4 pieces per sponge.

IMG_2032

Tip: You can also cut the sponges along the shorter side to create smaller balls!

IMG_2033

Step 2: Next we piled up all our pieces and mixed the colors up.

IMG_2037

Step 3: Gather 12 different colored strips and twist tight. You’ll need a partner to help you with this step as it’s very difficult to hold and tie all by yourself!

IMG_2039

Step 4: Using a piece of dental floss, string, or a zip-tie, tie the center of the sponges to secure in place.

IMG_2040

Step 5: Fluff up your sponges!

IMG_2041

Step 6: Bring your sponges to the pool with you this summer, or in the bathtub for some added water fun! You can also fill up some buckets of water and add the sponges. Have kids do a sponge toss, you can either have them try to toss the sponges into a bucket for points, or toss them to each other! Just be prepared to get a little wet! But who doesn’t love a little water spritz on a hot summer day!

Sponge Painting:

For some alternative sponge crafts,  grab some tempera paint and create some cool art with your sponges, they make great texture. Might I suggest a Great Barrier Reef painting?

IMG_2051

We cut some smaller chunks for the painting for detailed areas, then used the small sponge balls for larger areas. The kids loved the textures they created with their sponges!

IMG_2053

Here is one of our finished pieces:

IMG_2069

Enjoy your summer sponge fun!

• Carlen July 18, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Looks great! Thanks for sharing :o)

• Keri July 18, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Hi Erica!
    This is such a cute and inexpensive craft idea, my kids will love this! Thanks for sharing 😉

Keri ~ A homeschooling mom of 2, loving that curriculum isn’t just black and white!

• April July 18, 2012 at 6:32 pm

What tape do you use for the pictures? How do you get it off without ripping or pulling off part of the paper? Thanks. My kids loe to draw and paint. This looks like a lot of fun.

• June Momma July 13, 2014 at 6:40 pm

masking tape is a really good tape to use, but also you cant use just regular paper. I would recommend watercolor paper (found at many art specific stores, also Michael’s, ect.) hope this helps!

• Lauren July 19, 2012 at 5:03 am

Oooh, I love it! Great idea to cut them up like that!

• Lindsey Whitney July 20, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Very cute. Is that a pineapple under the sea?

• Emilytwinmom July 21, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Excellent project suggestions! I have a question – what type of paint is that? I used to be a teacher, and just told my bosses how much paint I needed for our classroom. Now that I’m homeschooling all the “washable tempera” paint I find is just about see through, it’s so thin. Your paint looks great on paper!! We would love to have washable paint that is good quailty. We use not washable tempera to get good coverage, but it has permanently stained our cement outside where we paint 🙁