APR
2013

Animal Classification Unit

Hi everyone! Today I wanted to share a fun animal classification unit I created. Although my Expedition Earth and Road Trip USA curricula include quite extensive animal units, I needed something that included a little more detail on the classification of animals along with something hands-on for my younger students.

cover

–> Click here to download the Animal Classification Unit <–

(Having trouble downloading this form? Right click on the link and select “save link as” then click “ok” to save it to your computer.)

Instructions for use:

You can use this animal classification unit however best fits your needs. It is a great supplement to a curriculum teaching students about animal classes. It can also be used on it’s own as a small unit on animal classification. Here are a couple ways you can use this document to create a fun hands-on learning project for your students.

The study includes fun information for mammals, amphibians, reptiles, insects, and birds. Each fact sheet information on:

• General information
  • Life cycle
  • Species
  • Habitat
  • Diet
  • Unique Features
  • Record Holders

lessons

The study also includes 72 colorful pictures that students can add to a notebook, wall display, or Lapbook for each of the various animal classes.

animals

Here are some of the fun things you can do with this unit!

Create an Animal Book:

1. Use two colorful pieces of construction paper for the cover and back to your animal book
  2. Add 5 blank sheets of copy paper in between the construction paper cover and backs.
  3. Staple booklet along the left edge to create a booklet.
  4. Color and glue the cover page of this document to the front of your animal book.
  5. Read through the information for each animal class. As you proceed through the lessons, have students cut out the title block for that class along with the associated animals and glue them onto the appropriate pages in their animal book.

Create an Animal Lapbook:

1. Use two file folders to create a double Lapbook. Lay one file folder flat on the table and fold each side in so they meet in the center. Do this with the other file folder, then glue the folders together along one of the folded edges.
  2. Print the cover of this document and have students color and glue it to the front of the created Lapbook.
  3. Inside paste the various title blocks for each classification leaving space to fit animals for each.
  4. As you study through the classes, have students cut and paste associated animals underneath each category heading.

Additional ideas & activities:

Independent research: Although several images for each class are provided in this unit, you might also have students search for their own animals using magazines, newspapers, and internet resources.

Create an animal wall: Using bulletin board paper, create a fun bulletin display in your classroom! Add a fun border, then tape the classification headings to the bulletin display. As you learn about the various animals, have students add them to your animal wall display.

coverreports

Student Reports: Included in this unit is a printable report. Have students research their favorite animal and complete a report on it, make sure to include a colorful drawing or image of the animal studied.

See them in person: Grab a pencil, clipboard, and the below zoo checklists and take them on a field trip to your local zoo to see how many you can see in person!

zoopromo

A great supplement to this unit are the 3D Animal Habitats from Scholastic. They include interactive mini-books for caves, cities, coral reefs, deserts, grasslands, islands, marshes, mountains, oceans, polar regions, ponds, rivers, seashores, tropical rainforests, and the tundra. I believe it is recommended for grades 2-3, but I think they’re fun for most elementary level students.

animahabitats

I hope you enjoy this unit on animal classification in your homeschool!

Have any animal study ideas to share? Make sure to leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. Wow! Thank you so much, Erica! What an amazing gift for homeschool families. You are such a blessing :)

2. Thank you so much!! My 4-year-old son is going to love this. It will be perfect to use in conjunction with that zoo season pass and fill the gap before we get started on an “official” science curriculum. Thanks again.

3. Thank you so much for this!! This will be great with our science next year from Answers in Genesis!

4. Thanks so much! I already printed them and we’re going to start today….I knew I wanted something a little different today and this is perfect! God bless :)

5. Jennife Dick says:

Thank you so much. Love the work that you do.

6. Thank you for thid

7. LilMissMom says:

This is wonderful…..Are those colored pics available already printed for purchase?

Thank you!

8. Thank you so much for sharing this! We will use it in our animal study at our co-op. Your curriculum has been such a blessing to our home school co-op. We use it in our preschool, geography, and art class! I love your new inventors unit too! Thank you!

9. I just recently found you through You Tube, and as a parent who has just started homeschooling you are amazing! Thank you so much for sharing.

10. Thanks so much for all of the resources that you share. I love all of the printables! Thanks again.

11. Erica -

I’m a week old lurker on your site. My daughter is only 9 months, but you already have me fired up and motivated to begin homeschooling her at age 3 with the Letter of the Week. You are inspiring, and I cannot believe the quality of work that you turn out and offer for the rest of us. Thank you! Blessings for your family.

12. Thank you so much!

13. What a beautifully put together unit! Thanks for sharing it with us fellow homeschoolers and for the little downloading tip too! ;)

14. Thank you so much!!

15. thank you!

16. Thank you!

17. Melissa N says:

Wow! Thank you so much!!! Love your site!

18. Erica – thank you so much for this. I know how much time and effort goes into these units, and I appreciate you giving it away for FREE. You bless so very many.

19. You are so awesome; thank you!

20. This is AWESOME!! We just bought our zoo pass and I wanted something to take along as our learning tool during trips! You are one amazing momma, thanks for all of your fantastic freebies!!

21. Amazing! Thank you so much for this wonderful gift!

22. Hi! I love, love, love your stuff. Use it all the time! I immediately printed this off because we are actually finishing an animal unit right now with my K4 child. I was wondering if there are fish pictures to go with the set. Am I overlooking something? I am also working on the Expedition Earth study for next year. I am so excited, and I love your work. Thank you for all your hard work! You are truly a blessing from God for all of us trying to figure this whole homeschooling thing out.

23. YAY!!!! We are just starting animals mid April…….Thank you so much!

24. Maggieraye says:

Erica,
    I read your commercial use piece in the front. Please email me and let me know, how do you feel about this being used in a homeschool support group? My group is nature study focused and this would be an excellent tool to share with families and use with the kids. Thanks!

raye4home AT gmail DOT com

25. I’m planning our lessons for the year right now, and this is just what I needed for science. Thank you so much for sharing your hard work – it is much appreciated.

26. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! Awesome resource and for free! You are truly amazing.

27. John Davidson says:

This is a good sharing. Kids will surely love this. And for sure it will help a lot of kids out there who love reading animal books.

28. Thank you 100 times over! Very talented and I so appreciate it!

29. Lorie Lott-Folk says:

Thank you SO much for this! My 9 year old son LOVES all things animal related. This is such a wonderful find! I think a field trip to the Zoo is in order! God bless you, thank you so much!

30. You never cease to amaze me! I am so blessed by what you share. Thank you so much!

31. Hi :-) This is amazing and I have just found this wonderful resource package from you just in time to help my grade 3 son on a research work about animals!

thank so much and your blog is an inspiration!

32. Thank you so much for this! Your directions say: Add 5 blank sheets of copy paper in between the construction paper cover and backs. However, there are 6 different titles.

33. Thanks so much for this; I laminated it and making it into a game for my kiddos. One thing though…where is your page of fish pictures?