2015 – 1st Grade Homeschool Schedule

I spent the weekend planning with some friends, and I think we’re ready to go! Each year I do an overview of our basic daily schedule by grade level.

Hopefully this will help those of you who wonder how many times per week we do certain subjects, and how long we spend on each one as well.

In our state we’re required to do 172 days per year averaging 4 hours per day for any students 6 years or older. And this year that applies to all of my kiddos! I’m expecting it to be a crazy year, but hopefully with everything planned out it won’t be too bad.

I’m going to start off sharing Miss Lady Bug’s schedule today. She’s currently 6 years old, she’ll turn 7 in November! Eeek! She’s starting first grade this year and here’s her line up:

1stgradedailyschedule

Download a copy:

Here’s our Basic Kindergarten Schedule:

• 8:30am   – Breakfast / Family Devotion Time
  • 9:00am   – Calendar Time & Daily Learning Notebook
  • 9:15am – Bible
  • 9:30am – Math
  • 10:20am – Phonics
  • 10:40am – Language/Grammar
  • 11:00am – Spelling
  • 11:20am – Reading
  • 11:45am – Vocabulary
  • 12:15pm – Lunch
  • 1:00pm  – History (M/T), Science (W,TH)
  • 2:00pm – Art (Tues), Music (Wed), Piano (Thurs)
  • 2:30pm – Typing (Mon), Literature (Tues/Wed)
  • 5:00pm – Sports start! She’s currently doing inline hockey on M/W and Swimming on T/Th. And yes, we’re tired.

As you’ll notice her schedule is pretty packed, so we’ll see how it goes. If she’s overwhelmed I’ll probably eliminate some of her electives. She really wants to try typing and piano this year. And so if she’s ready for it cool, if not we’ll pick it back up next year.

We also do an options program on Fridays, so they get to do a lot of fun elective type classes such as art, music, PE, science, & Spanish. She enjoys a day with friends, and I get to enjoy a day off! It does provide a challenge when fitting our normal curriculum into 4 days per week, and so I either eliminate some lessons, or fit our curriculum into our available days which means we double up on some lessons.

Stay tuned for our upcoming daily homeschool schedules for 4th, 6th, and 7th grades!

If you’d like to see what curriculum she’s using this year, make sure to check out our 2015-2016 curriculum post!

• Sara Mitchell August 3, 2015 at 8:04 am

Today is our first day of first grade too! We seem to have the same order of subjects, however our Times differ of course. 🙂 We may have to tweak the schedule, but I’ll make that determination at the end of the week. Blessings!

• Melissa August 3, 2015 at 12:40 pm

Thank you! This is our first year homeschooling and your schedule was so helpful and reassuring!

• Kim August 3, 2015 at 1:34 pm

What do you do if you finish early or need more time on a subject?

• Heather August 3, 2015 at 6:53 pm

Thank you for this! What are you using for vocabulary? I don’t see that on your curriculum list for her.

• Sarah August 3, 2015 at 8:45 pm

How do you fit all the subjects in those time frames, like how do you do spelling in 20 minutes? We use all about spelling also and those lessons take us way more than 20 minutes. Do you break it up and spread it though the week? Thanks!

• Katie Laws August 4, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Wow! That is a super busy schedule. My daughter is starting 2nd grade and I don’t have her scheduled this fully, but I constantly worry I should be doing more. I’d love to know what kind of curriculum you use, especially for science, history and vocabulary work.

• Jess August 5, 2015 at 8:47 am

I think it is super busy too. We don’t have anywhere near this amount of time, although we do all the classes. On a bad day it takes us about 3 hours for everything. In second grade she shouldn’t be doing tons of stuff.

• Jessica Baker August 4, 2015 at 4:55 pm

Thank you for motivating me to get our schedule done! I got ours finished this weekend and posted to my blog today: http://keeperofthyhome.blogspot.com/2015/08/home-school-year-2015-2016-schedule.html. I like how you are including Typing… we will see how our first few weeks back go, but we may try to add it. I would love to know how you manage to get everything done with a 4th, 6th, and 7th grader as well!

• Julie August 5, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Thank you so much Erica! This helps me out a ton!

• Aisha August 7, 2015 at 5:00 pm

This is a great starting block for me!! Just one question, do you have a certain time of the day for chores? I’m finding it hard to schedule that in.

Thanks

• Claudia Harris August 21, 2015 at 10:51 pm

I place my child in public school and he was bullied and instead of helping him the school recommend medication to calm down his nerves. I would be nervous too if everyday I was hit, punch, kick, etc. So I got him out of school to be homeschool, and now I am all sorts of confused, and I am thinking maybe I made the wrong decision, all help you can give me is welcome thank you

1 2