My Top English Homeschool Curriculum Picks

Hi everyone! Today I’m sharing our top homeschool curriculum picks for English! These are all things that we have used in the past and enjoyed. Hopefully they will help you get started when researching the best curriculum for your family.

Watch my Top English / Grammar Homeschool Curriculum Picks video here!

Here are links to some of my favorite English/Grammar resources:

Want more info? Stop by my English Curriculum Forum where I shared some of my favorite resources and my community piped in with their favorites too!

And don’t forget to check out our COAH Community where we all share and discuss our favorite curriculum too!

coah_joinourcommunity

• Jenny February 20, 2018 at 7:32 pm

Thanks for another great overview! We have also used Abeka and BJU English. This year, we used Essentials in Writing by Matthew Stephens, which I thought was phenomenal! I saw big improvements in my children’s writing and tremendous growth and confidence in their writing this year. Taught by Matthew Stephens on a DVD, the students get small, manageable lesson and then works in their workbooks. The first half of the year is grammar, and the second half of the year is writing composition. The website is https://essentialsinwriting.com/.

• Sara October 26, 2018 at 10:17 am

This is also our first year using EIW. I was having the hardest time finding a curriculum that would work well for my now 4th grade son, and EIW has been a godsend. We are very happy with it as well!

• Sarah February 21, 2018 at 7:07 pm

We’re using Language Lessons For Today this year (2nd grade) and I’m on the fence about using it again. My daughter likes it, but I just think it’s too easy and simple and I’m still not convinced it covers everything. If we keep going with it, do you think adding Fix It as well would be too much? From what I’ve seen of it, it looks great! I’ve done Abeka and maybe that could work too as an add-in, but when I’ve looked at BJU I think adding it in would be too much. I’m torn between something my daughter likes and her getting enough instruction.

• erica February 22, 2018 at 12:44 pm

You could probably do both, but I’d ditch the other one and just use Fix it.

• Crystal February 22, 2018 at 3:33 pm

Is Fix-it Grammar enough on its own? We have used BJU since 2nd grade and my son will begin 7th next year. I would like to change it up! Thanks!

• Jenny February 22, 2018 at 7:04 pm

I’ve used BJU and Abeka, which include both grammar and writing. So, you would use Fix It Grammar for the grammar portion and then use IEW Writing for the writing portion, with their company. Their website is a little confusing, so I called and emailed them, and their customer service is AMAZING! I was very impressed!

• erica February 26, 2018 at 1:33 pm

Yes, I was worried at first that I would need to supplement, but now I think it is fine on it’s own. Just a different style of learning 🙂

• Abigail March 7, 2018 at 3:54 pm

Sorry I am at the beginning of researching for homeschooling. If I used Fix It Grammar ( Which I am so loving the concept and how it works ) do you purchase book 1? Or are certain books for certain grades? I will have a 4th and 5th grader at home. I am uncertain how it works. They currently use BJU at their private school they attend now.

• erica March 9, 2018 at 4:36 pm

I liked starting with The Nose Tree (Book 1) Because it introduces your students to the IEW Fix It! Formatting. Although honestly all of the books teach the formatting lessons as you go, and so you can probably start wherever you feel is best for the ages of your students. If you look on the IEW site, there is a grid that shows where to start.

• Jessica March 31, 2018 at 8:00 pm

What grade did you start Fix it Grammar with your kids? My oldest will be going into 2nd grade next year and I am trying to plan what we will use for language arts. She has been doing AAR and has loved it, but she is starting to get a little burned out on it now and I think she needs a change. She is an excellent reader.

• erica April 2, 2018 at 2:17 pm

I started it in third grade which is what they recommend I believe. We did Abeka Language and Letters/Sounds for second grade.

• Lisa September 16, 2018 at 2:31 am

I am a new homeschool Mom and wondered what you would advise for a 9th grader that doesn’t do particularly well in English and some times struggles? I decided to get the lifepac from AOP but am not sure this is the best one for her. TIA

• erica September 18, 2018 at 10:59 am

I would try IEW Fix It! Grammar. It’s really straight forward and easy to do, but also thorough.

ericas_amazon

How to Homeschool Join MeHomeschool Organization e-courseHow to Teach Writing e-courseHow to Teach Reading e-course
How to Teach Math e-course
How to Teach Spelling e-course

About Me

About MeI am a Christian, a wife, and a homeschooling mom to four of the sweetest kiddos you'll ever meet. Our family has been greatly blessed by this blog and I pray that God uses it to bless your family as well. Confessions was started as a way to share resources, ideas and encouraging tips on how to make your homeschool fun! I hope you enjoy your visit!