Wanna keep a couple kids busy for about 30 minutes? Give ‘em a stack of old broken crayons and have them peel and break them into tiny pieces so you can make some Rainbow Crayons for your Prek Letter R for Rainbow curriculum!
- used, broken crayons no one likes to use anymore!
- metal muffin pan
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees
- Fill muffin tin with chunks of peeled broken crayons (For our rainbow theme we mixed lots of colors together! They were really fun to draw with)
- Put muffin pan in oven for about 8-10 minutes or until crayons are melted.
- Once crayons are cooled, pop them out of your muffin pan for some fun rainbow coloring! Super easy and the kids love ‘em. And look how nicely they stack for storage! (ps…they came out of my muffin tin very easily…I only note this because I was slightly concerned about getting my pan cleaned…)
I make them with silicon heart muffin pans, and they make great Valentine gifts. I saw the silicone heart pans in Target this week for $2.50! However, I have made them several times, and the residue from the crayons DOES NOT come completely out of the pans – so they are for crayons only!
These are fun! I like your rainbow idea. When we did this awhile back we made "warm color" crayons: red,orange,yellow; and "cool color" crayons: green,blue,violet.
We are saving up our crayons for just this purpose. 🙂
My 4 year old daughter really enjoyed the rainbow crayons… she liked putting the pieces into each muffin hole but mommy had to tear the paper off each and every crayon but it was worth it.. I enjoyed it too! My 1 year old son liked holding them and trying them on paper with my 4 year old. We made rainbows!! Thanks.
Can't wait to do this! We will be on the letter Rr soon! TFS!
We are doing this today & the kiddos LOVE it!
We did this today and the kids had a blast! 🙂
We made these today and the kids had a blast! 🙂
For easy cleanup after removing homemade crayons, pop the muffin tin back in the oven at 250 degrees for a few minutes or until the crayon residue has melted. Remove from the oven and wipe with a paper towel! 🙂 Then clean with soap and water.
#LOVEIT You’re a heaven sent for people like me 🙂