Domino & Dice Math

I downloaded a great domino game today called “Domino Parking Lot”. Younger kids can count the dots and place the dominos in the correct spot. Older kids can add the 2 sides together to find the correct spot.

IMG_3733 IMG_3732

I found the idea for this on Nurturing the Tender Years, if you haven’t already, go visit, she has a beautiful blog!

Domino Math: I do this game 2 ways, either I write in the combination’s and he matches the dominoes to it and writes in the answer. Or he picks a domino out and writes the equation and answer himself. Click here to download the domino math game!

Dice Addition/Subtraction: Roll the die, and write a number in the first box, roll again and write it in the second box. Use blocks or counters to help figure out the answer! Click here to download the Dice Addition/Subtraction worksheets!

A Place Value Game: Pick numbers and put them in boxes, say the number, and make it with blocks! Click here to download the Place Value Game:

More Domino ideas:

• Mama to 4 March 4, 2010 at 2:33 am

thank you – I could use these for my son – he needs lots of work on math! I appreciate you sharing! 🙂

• Ticia March 4, 2010 at 6:13 am

You know, I'd always used them for small math problems. I'd totally not even thought of using them for just plain counting, why hadn't I? Great ideas.

• Christie March 4, 2010 at 7:22 am

These are great! fun!! Thank you!

• Christine March 4, 2010 at 7:34 am

Thanks for sharing! I'm going to pull out the dominoes tomorrow for my 6yo. I'm always on the lookout for more fun ideas for him.

• Kami@Nurturing the tender years March 4, 2010 at 10:05 am

Thank you for your kind words! Love your blog too! 🙂

• Michelle March 4, 2010 at 11:30 am

Great ideas!! I am always looking for different games to make learning math fun. When I was teaching that was the best way to get the kids excited about math :0)

• Anonymous March 4, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Great ideas!I used the dice addition with my first grade class. You can make it harder by using one regular die and making another die with numbers 6-12 using a 1 inch wooden cube and a permanent marker. Just write the numbers on the cube! Use this game with multiplication also. Just change the addition sign to multiplication.

• Anonymous March 4, 2010 at 10:17 pm

use this with higher addtion by using one regular die and making your own with numbers 7-12. Just write the numbers with permanent marker on a 1inch wooden cube.

• Anonymous March 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm

You can also use the addition game with multiplication. Just change the addition sign to multiplication.

• Confessions Of A Homeschooler March 4, 2010 at 11:28 pm

Excellent variations everyone, thanks for sharing!

1 2