Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Tortilla Chips

IMG_4895 A friend made this for us at a scrapbooking retreat once, and I LOVE LOVE LOVED it! I made some this week and decided to share it with you all, luckily I took a picture first because as soon as I walked away it was gone!

Ingredients

Salsa:

Really you can use any fruit you like, this is what I use…

• 2 kiwis, peeled and diced
  • 2 apples – peeled, cored and diced – (I like Pink Ladies or Lady Alice)
  • 8 ounces raspberries
  • 1 pound strawberries
  • 1/2 cantaloupe diced
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar (Can be omitted)
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar (Can substitute with sucanat)
  • 3 tablespoons fruit preserves, any flavor

Tip: I use my Pampered Chef chopper to dice all the fruit, makes it much more ‘salsa-ish’ …if that’s a word, and yes, I do homeschool.

Tortilla Chips:

• 10 (10 inch) flour tortillas
  • butter flavored cooking spray (Can spray with water, but not as yummy!)
  • 1/2 cup cinnamon sugar (Amount is flexible, I just sprinkle it over the chips)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, thoroughly mix all fruit, white sugar, brown sugar and fruit preserves. Cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 15 minutes.
  3. Coat one side of each flour tortilla with butter flavored cooking spray. Cut into wedges and arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle wedges with desired amount of cinnamon sugar. Spray again with cooking spray.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven 8 to 10 minutes. Repeat with any remaining tortilla wedges. Allow to cool approximately 15 minutes. Serve with chilled fruit mixture.
  5. Take a few bites for yourself before you call in the crew, well, unless you don’t want any ;o)

Enjoy!

• rainbowmummy April 27, 2010 at 6:12 am

mmmmm I once made sweet tortillas with chocolate sauce, but it was a hassel (the tortiallas were deep fried, not something I have any desire to do (eat yes, do no). This way, doing them in the oven, sounds yum.

• Michelle April 27, 2010 at 6:25 am

This does look yummy. I've had peach and pineapple in my regular salsa, but never an all fruit salsa – I bet it is great with the cinnamon chips. I tend to crave fruit in the summer time – so I'm keeping this on my list – thank you!

• LivingByDailyGrace April 27, 2010 at 8:44 am

Honestly, this is really good and very healthful without the sugar. Simply chop your fruits up and add the juice of half a lemon to keep oxidation at a minimum. Most of those fruits are sweet enough that the sugar just makes it too sweet. This is one of my favorite snacks. We are trying to convince a baby to be born this week so I may have someone get me the ingredients and let my 11 yod make me the chips. Eating is good in labor. 🙂 I am glad you posted this. HA!! God Bless.

• SimplyMontessori April 27, 2010 at 9:44 am

Yum! We must try this!

• SimplyMontessori April 27, 2010 at 9:44 am

Yum! We must try this!

• Emily @CreativeDisaster April 27, 2010 at 10:02 am

I leave the sugar out completely, all that fruit has enough sweetness for me. And I use whole what tortillas to make the chips. So yummy!

• Christina April 27, 2010 at 10:55 am

Suddenly I'm hungry for some salsa & chips. crunch. crunch.

• joyceandnorm April 27, 2010 at 11:24 am

I usually use melted butter but that would be so much easier with the spray. You can put the sugar/cinna mix in a salt shaker so it's distributed evenly throughout the tortilla too.

• wdworkman April 27, 2010 at 11:34 am

I'm definitely going to try this one.Janet Whttp://www.homeschoolblogger.com/wdworkman/

• kewkew April 27, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Okay, looks delicious. Can't wait to get to the store to buy the ingredients!!

1 2