Well, not totally homemade, as in I didn’t grow my own corn. (Not that I didn’t try, our corn was just sad last year…) But I sure as heck popped it without the use of a greasy chemically lined microwaveable bag!
Okay, I’ll admit that when it comes to popping corn the old fashioned way, I’m a bit of a chicken. For some reason, the thought of cooking kernels until they start flying across my kitchen always made me nervous. So when a friend called and said she’d been making her own, and it was awesome, I reluctantly gave it a try, and ONLY because she kept stressing just how awesome it really was!
And this little project of mine did make some of my fears come true. I have to admit it took me several attempts before I actually figured it out. Now…I can run an entire house hold, do laundry, cook dinner, homeschool 4 kids simultaneously, and take pictures to prove it all, but apparently the term “microwaveable safe” dish didn’t quite sink in.
If you can get that term down, then this will go much smoother for you all.
To start you need to take a little trip down the popcorn isle and pick out some kernels, or grow your own, but really, that’s just too much work.
Anyway, get some kernels, I chose organic, must be better right? Then grab some seasoning and butter spritzer. We picked out White Cheddar and Kettle Corn flavoring.
But don’t use them together. They don’t mix well…I’m just sayin’.
Oh, and you also need some vegetable oil.
Next, in a (please say very slowly and loudly) M I C R O W A V E – S A F E glass bowl add 3 Tablespoons of veg. oil and 1/2 cup popcorn kernels.
(notice the bowl above is plastic, don’t do this)
COVER with a microwaveable lid. Otherwise you’ll have kernels all over your microwave. You’d think this would be obvious.
Microwave on high for about 3 minutes or until popping slows to about 5 seconds between pops, times may vary according to your microwave.
Next spray with butter spritzer and sprinkle with desired flavoring. Toss and repeat. Take a small moment to thank me for reminding you to use a MICROWAVE SAFE glass bowl, then enjoy!
Tip: If you find that not all the kernels pop, you can half the recipe and cook each half separately. I guarantee you’ll still want to make the full recipe though as it will disappear quickly!
Some other flavors to try:
- Curry: 1 tsp curry powder, 3/4 tsp ground tumeric, 3/4 tsp ground ginger, tiny pinch cayenne pepper.
- Pizza: 3 Tbsp grated Parmesan Cheese, 1 tsp ground dried oregano, 1/2 tsp dried tomato powder.
- Salt and Vinegar: 1/4 c salted malt vinegar, sea salt to taste
- Italian: 3 Tbsp grated Parmesan Cheese, 1 tsp ground dried oregano
- Buttery Goodness: Salt to taste, then drizzle some real melted butter over the top!
- Cinnamon & Sugar: Spritz with butter spritzer, then sprinkle with 1/4 tsp of cinnamon and 1 Tbsp sugar.
- White Chocolate: Place popped corn in a tupperware container and sprinkle with 1/4 cup white chocolate chips. Cover with lid and microwave 10 seconds, then shake warmed popcorn to slightly melt the chips.
- Cheddar Cheese and sea salt
Have a yummy flavor to share? Please share in the comments, I’d love to hear try it!