JUN
2013

Thank You to all of my Loyal Readers!

I’d like to take a moment today to say THANK YOU!

Thank you to all of my faithful subscribers and readers. And a special thank you to those of you who have chosen to use my curriculum in your homeschools. My family has been greatly blessed by your generosity and encouragement. I whole heartedly pray that my printables have blessed your family and your homeschooling endeavor.

Thank you!

thankyou

To those of you who have gotten caught up in the popular groups that condone illegal file sharing, today my prayers go out to you.

Unfortunately there are groups of homeschoolers who are choosing to come together and “share” files they are not permitted to share. It greatly saddens my heart to think that homeschoolers would do something like this. Maybe you simply aren’t aware, but hosting and sharing files (paid or free) that were not made by you is illegal without the express written consent of the author. Downloading these files is also illegal. What you are doing is called “stealing” in the online world.

You may have even justified your actions due to your budgetary constraints, or simply out of the desire to “get a good deal.” I wonder how many of you would be able to walk up to your child and say “Honey, I really wanted this curriculum, but wanted to save money, so mommy stole it.” Conversely what would you say if your child did something similar? I hope you can understand there are no excuses for this type of behavior.

Homeschooling isn’t just about academics, but instead it is our way of imparting our character, values, morals, ethics, spiritual beliefs, and life skills onto our children. Today my prayer is that you would be encouraged to check your ways and think twice before participating in these “sharing” groups. What you are doing is not only illegal and unethical, but you are also taking advantage of all of the bloggers and homeschooling companies that have put their valuable time and energy into creating products to help your homeschooling be more successful.

My pastor has always said that “compromise always leads to more compromise.” I pray diligently that you do not allow this small compromise to creep into other areas of your life. And most importantly I pray you are not passing down these values to your children.

Instead I encourage you to trust God to provide for you as He has lead you into this homeschooling journey. He will provide for your needs and make your paths straight. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Now may the God of peace…make you complete in every good work to do His will. (Hebrews 13:20-21)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. Beautifully written! You preach it sister and I’ll turn the pages =)

2. Andrea Gardner says:

Thank you for all the hard work you do. We love your curriculum and I share your website with friends so they too can discover how fantastic your blog is :)

Thanks for the reminder that not everyone is sharing honestly or even legally.

3. Erica, Thank you for all you do. I just finished printing letter D of my (paid for) letter of the week curriculum and am still amazed by what a great and cheap purchase it was. Not to mention how much I love all the other freebies you send out on your blog.

4. I was more than happy to purchase your wonderful curriculums! I plan to buy more soon! Thanks again for resetting my extra ones. I was right, there were ones that disappeared out of the folders. I wont be leaving that folder open again when my twins are near the computer! You’re the best!! You saved the day by resetting my extra downloads for me!!

5. Jennifer M. says:

Thank you for all of your wonderful curriculum! I think I’ve bought almost all of the curriculum you have in your store :) I did the Letter of the Week with my son this year and can’t wait until we start Road Trip USA! I’ve never done the “sharing” files thing…but I do love the occasional (legal) freebies!

6. Cassandra Brown says:

I have purchased the Letter of the Week and the K4 to use this upcoming fall and personally don’t mind paying for such good sources! I know it took tons of time and effort to put together :)

7. Thank you for writing what I’m sure was a hard letter to write. Our family has been blessed with the units we have purchased and the many more things you have graciously offered as “free”. I check your website daily (only one outside of e-mail). Thank you for your diligence and generosity in helping all of us other homeschoolers!

8. Thank you for all you do!!! You are such an inspiration to me a well as many others! Can’t wait to start LOTW with my little one next month! You’re prices are amazing and I know there was so much hard work put into it! God Bless You!!!

9. PerryLove Doubrava says:

I just purchased your LOTW program yesterday and am working on printing and organizing everything. I am thoroughly impressed by the time and effort you put into this to share with others. It is definitely worth more than the $15 I paid. I just discovered your blog yesterday and am overwhelmed by the resources you have provided. Thank you for the amazing job you do for your family and your teaching companions!

10. Amen! And if I may? “Damn straight!”

If it was possible to love your blog and your writing and your materials more, than I do now — thank you for being a strong voice of conviction and honesty — and for doing it so graciously and humbly. Blessings to you. (I had no idea this was going on :( )

11. It makes me sad that people would do that! I mean, really, I am shocked everyday at how people twist truth to fit their circumstances! Keep up the good work!

12. Im so sorry that happened to you :( I just want to say thank you for all you do, I bought several of your curriculums now I just need to stock up on some paper and ink so I can print everything :)

13. I love everything in your store. My Last post I was talking about the Exploration Earth Set. And I gave my Readers a link to come here to see how awesome you are…..if they didn’t already know! :)

14. Thank you for your letter. I had no idea this was going on. I have actually had to have short conversations with a new homeschooling mom about this very thing. She thought it would be ok to copy stuff and use it again when her children got older. I had to gently remind her that that was stealing and against the law. She recognized it as such but wasn’t happy that I pointed it out. I hope she has made the right decision. I don’t think I’ve done this personally. I’ve shared your website with a bunch of friends and have told them about your freebies, as well as freebies from other sites, but I’ve not emailed files to anyone. I don’t even think I’ve given away copies that I’ve made of stuff and didn’t use. God forgive me if I have and don’t know it. Thank you for all you do for homeschooling families, especially encouraging us to keep Christ in the center of our homeschool.

• I am a new homeschool mom, but what is wrong with reusing curriculum inside your own home? I certainly can’t afford to rebuy everything 3,4+ times for each of my children. I understood it as you are buying a license to use the material as you see fit within your own homeschool. The problem would be using the individual license in a coop or selling/giving it to someone outside of your household. Can someone please clarify this?

• There isn’t anything wrong with using it in your own home for your children. Some people purchase files and give assess to others. The others are not paying for use which isn’t right.

• You may re-use what you have individually bought digitally for a very long time. If you buy a consumable paper copy, you should replace it for every child as photocopying it does break copyright. Very few publishers allow the consumable to be copied. Some materials are labeled reproducible, mostly classroom teacher style books, can be copied.

• You can reuse many materials in your own home for you own children, if they are reproducible. If it is legal to reproduce them it will be noted in the first few pages of the books. Generally math textbooks such as Math U See are not reproducible, but the teacher books can be reused. I have been homeschooling for 25 years now and I still use some items with my current children that I used with their older siblings in the other years….all legally!!

• Sheryl,
        Latonya, Angie, and Anita said it beautifully. And I absolutely do NOT require you purchase additional items for each of your children. Sometimes vendors vary, but for my curriculum you’re welcome to re-use or print copies it with your own children no matter how many you have!

• Oh, I do ask that if you are going to use my curriculum in your school classroom, or with a multiple family co-op that you purchase the classroom version of it, but otherwise you can use it with your own children as many times as needed :o) Hope that makes sense!

• Kelly Terrell says:

And that is what I have done with my coop. Where applicable, I purchase the classroom version! We LOVE your material and we have been so blessed by them as a family! The very LEAST I can do is bless you back by paying for your hard work! We have pretty much purchased EVERYTHING!!!!! Can’t thank you enough!

• Sheryl, I’m sorry if my comment was unclear. What I meant was that my friend wanted to buy one consumable workbook and make copies for her 2 children. That’s the part that is illegal. Consumables are just that – consumable. One time use. Teacher’s books, readers, etc. are reusable and are expected to be used multiple times. I hope that helps! The other commenters have provided some good information as well. We have to be so careful how we use the materials that we buy because publishers try to keep costs down for us and give us the best deals, but if dishonest homeschooling families take advantage of the law, then it pushes all the prices up and those who are honest suffer the most.

• Christina says:

Always check with the company if you are unsure. For example, the representatives from Critical Thinking Company told me it was fine to reproduce their workbooks for family use, even though some of them weren’t listed as such in their catalog/website. It never hurts to ask.

• Tanya Stone says:

First let me say I do understand what is behind this post, and I also think it’s horrible that other homeschoolers are not doing what Paul says to do, which is obey the law of the land as long as it does not force us to disobey God. Good for you for making the hard statements.
        Second, though, I do think this copying for your own use issue is far grayer, as far as consumables go. They all say “for distribution”, and in my research it’s for distribution outside of your home and family. THAT is what is illegal. Especially if it’s for sale. The same for audio and video files; making copies for yourself is fine, it’s selling it or giving it away to others that is a violation. If there is a link that you can provide, that states the law, if it really is contrary to this, please include it. I would like to KNOW if I’m doing something wrong or not. I make photocopies of coloring book pages and workbook pages for my kids all the time because I thought it was ok. Most books I have even say you can do that, which is why I never considered it might be wrong. Please include a link stating the exact law. Thanks.

• Unfortunately, a company has to come right out in their copyright and say that you are allowed to make multiple copies for it to be legal, and this includes for your other children. Most of our materials cannot be copied, so I would definitely check.

A Reason for Handwriting says “Except for brief quotations in reviews, no part of this publication may be stored or transmitted in any form, or reproduced by any means (photocopy, electronic, mechanical, recording, etc.).” “By any means” literally means that. For no friends and not even for your own family, unfortunately. This is how they keep costs down.

Our Explode the Code says the same thing. We do have an Evan-Moor book that specifically says you are allowed to photocopy it.

15. It’s not fancy, but after reading your post today I wanted to share it with you! Have a Great weekend!

• Thanks so much for the post, It was lovely! I tried to leave a comment on your blog, but for some reason it wasn’t letting me.

16. Ok, I am so behind with technology. What in the world are file sharing groups? Is it like a website or something?

• You question made me laugh…I have no idea either! There is a reason that women as knowledgable as Erica are creating curriculum. I would not have any idea of how to bend the rules without a tutorial =)

17. So well said!! That is what I like about you, your blog and your homeschooling printables . . . . they are honest, pure, and want the best for our children that we have chosen to stay home and raise to the highest of character. Keep blogging! You are doing an amazing job! You have encouraged a stranger (me) on this journey called homeschooling!

18. So sorry that such a letter needs to be written! I will be using quite a bit of your curriculum over the coming year. I am fairly new to home schooling. It was born out of necessity for us and so far we are enjoying it immensely! My little boy is autistic and your curriculum seems to fit his learning style to the tee. Thank you for all your hard work, it is truly appreciated.

19. Thank You very much for bringing this to light. I find it very very odd that today of all days you are posting this. I believe its the work of someone much more than us. I HAVE recently gotten caught up in one fb group that’s been posting hundreds of files and web links for “free”. While I defend copyright, and would absolutely never share files myself, I was supporting this page by being a member. The problem comes in with temptation. An honest free resource posted next to a book that clearly should have been purchased. Or the one that got me was public schools and teachers saving files to public domains for “public” use. Even though the school might have purchased the license to use it that way, I’m sure the publisher did not intent for it to be the general public of the planet….more like the school or school district at most. I fell prey to this one and saved files. That being said, something happened to me today. The owner of that FB page I’m referring to msgd me and told me that she loved my profile pic, it made her smile each time she saw it and she wanted to know if she could download a copy of it. I was immediately scared. My profile pic is of my 4 year old child! I promptly told her no. She responded saying that it was public property. This whole issue came full circle today. From what I thought was simple files on a schools website to a picture of my life. I learned a very hard lesson today and I’m so very sorry. I pray that God will help me be stronger next time. P.s. it was none of your work.

• Hi April,
      Praise God that you found encouragement in this post. I’m so sorry about the picture of your child, it’s unfortunate but we have to be very careful with what we share online as not all people display good ethics.

20. I am saddened to read this is happening, but even more sadly, I’m not surprised. :( I sell products I create on a popular hosting site, and unfortunately, people who sell there find their products posted illegally all over the internet as well. It isn’t just paid products either. It is the free ones too. Some of it even posted on school websites. I agree with you that what you described and what I’ve described–it is all stealing and so very wrong. I am sorry it has happened to your amazing products as well.

To this day, your Add-It and Subtract-It resources are some of our most favorite, and I really do think the Subtract-It helped my little ones really “GET” subtraction. THANK you for sharing so much and even for your paid products, you share generously by keeping the costs to others very reasonable. It is such a shame that people would take advantage of your generosity. :(

21. It greatly saddens me to hear that people are abusing the system;To take so freely of what people like yourself have worked so hard to make. It is a great blessing for me to be able to purchase your products. I get blessed by the amazing product and knowing that my purchasing it is in turn blessing you. Abiding by the simple rules you lay out is not a hard thing to do and I am so sorry to hear people are not willing to follow them. I pray that what has been stolen from you will come back ten fold! God bless!

22. Tiffany Hauser says:

So good! Thank you!

23. Thank your for taking the time to say what so others have wanted to say! I’ve shared this and think you did a wonderful job with all that you said.

24. Lake Lili says:

Nicely said! a good and timely reminder. Appreciate all your hard work. Many thanks.

25. Thank you! Perfectly said – something I try to say often & don’t know how to say it, or say it appropriately, or say it without practically tearing up & screaming. I too, offer printables, projects, & recipes I’ve designed & it infuriates me to no end that something will just cut & paste stuff that we’ve worked (in our spare time – ha) so hard creating for THEM. Thank you for everything you do – and many prayers to those that feel the need to do something that is not morally right and teach your children the same. And praise to those that follow the rules and instill these characteristics in your children to do the same.

26. What a lovely post – I’m sure a lot of prayer went into it before you started typing! Your LOTW was a lifesaver for my little guy.

I do have a question and please forgive me if it sounds dumb. Once a child has completed and mastered a curriculum, what do you do with the leftover reuseable items? I don’t have any more kiddos to homeschool. Is it illegal to “sell” it to recoup a bit of the paper, ink, and laminating cost?

• Hi Carol,
      Vendors vary on how they prefer you use their products. But in regards to my products I have no problem with you selling or better yet giving your used items away to bless another family when you are done with them. It is my mission to provide free or very cheap products to bless other homeschoolers and I love to see when others do the same.

• stacy weiner says:

Ok so I am now confused…Erica can you then explain what is hosting files. Is it that they take your curriculum, the purchasable ones and share them for free? This whole internet thing is such a devil sometimes. My husband’s website got stolen from him by a former employee…stealing his clients. So even though I don’t understand a whole lot anything that takes food out of your families mouth is just wrong…supporting you all the way, You have been such a blessing.

27. So sad to hear this is happening! I also have enjoyed your site and ideas and have gained tremendously from them. I appreciate that you keep your prices very reasonable and look forward to using the items I recently purchased during your generous sale! Blessings!

28. I love your site and your materials! Like others have said, I think it’s so sad that this even has to be written. It should be a common sense thing! Thanks for all you do!

29. Thank you Erica for all you do. You have blessed me on this homeschooling journey! Your blog and all your materials have helped our family so much. It is so unfortunate that you had to write about those that are taking from others. But, you handled it beautifully, as always!

30. I want to start a blog for personal use. It would be to organize my homeschool planning. If I list a link to something, whether it be a freebie or a purchase item, that is not file sharing, correct? If I alter a planning sheet, I would link to the original as inspiration to avoid stealing it?

You’re curriculum is amazing! Thank you for boldly addressing wrong.

• Hi Angie,
      Most bloggers are fine with you linking to their POST that contains the download. However it is best NOT to link directly to the actual pdf file. That way you are helping send your readers to other blog sites where they might find encouragement and help as well. I hope that makes sense :o)

31. I have such an easier job because of what you and other homeschooling moms do and I want to take this opportunity to thank you from the bottom of my heart. I couldn’t do without your curriculum and I very much appreciate what you have made available for everyone out of the kindness of your heart. I’m so sorry you face this problem of “sharing”. It’s so easy to avoid if someone will pass the word about your website and let others download for themselves! You provided an open, honest, and well-worded response to those who either knowingly or unknowingly are breaking the law. God bless you and your efforts always:)

32. Thank you, Erica for writing this post! I’m sorry that you are being robbed of what is rightfully yours and others within your community of homeschoolers, don’t understand how important the budget of others are important.

As a blogger, I see a lot of this online as well when it comes to ‘sharing’ another’s work. If done well, and so many do it well, it leads to great traffic for the blogger who created the post. However, in some cases, the step of ‘getting written permission’ just doesn’t seem worth their ‘time to invest’.

I see that as a concern as well, as this robs as well.

I pray that your post will allow those who unknowingly realize that they are doing wrong and makes those who know what they are doing a little more uncomfortable.

Blessings!

33. So beautifully written!

34. I wanted to drop in and give you a word of support and encouragement. I love that plenty others were thinking the same thing.Sorry that this problem is effecting you Erica. We are big fans. I am so out of the loop I didn’t realize file sharing was still popular. I remember it was hot way back when we started homeschooling 11 years ago and trying to police what was fair use and what was not made me decide to leave that party. Good of you to tell it straight but difficult i am sure. I truly believe some don’t know it’s stealing and hope this helps. For the others I pray they are convicted with their sin. Hugs!

35. EXCELLENT!!!!

36. I love your blog and thank you for allowing my family to learn from your’s. Beautifully written.

37. I joined several freebies groups on Facebook because I thought they were just sharing links to things that are really free online. IMHO, things are getting out of hand and people are now starting to share passwords to sites they’ve subscribed to and things from their own computers via dropbox (like your curriculum). Once I started seeing the password and dropbox links this week, knew I needed to leave those FB groups!

38. Thank you Erica! Your blog is always inspiring. We purchased our PreK curriculum from you a couple weeks ago and are so excited to put it to use this fall. Keep it coming!!!

39. I am sorry that this is happening. I haven’t heard of the specific groups and hope that I am not a member of any of them. I know I belong to one that gathers and posts several public domain resources in one place, but I hope they aren’t actually doing something illegal. I have also bragged about your products online, and in person (my sis-in-law is a teacher at a Catholic school and loved the literature units :) ), but I have only ever linked back to your homepage and told them to “click on the ‘store’ link.” I hope that I have not done anything illegal. I really love your products and just wanted to let others no about it :) Please keep up the wonderful work you do, you have saved me unimaginable amounts of stress and provided great curriculum for my children.

40. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but I don’t know if I’ve done this or not. I have googled free worksheets and have used the free items off of websites, but I have no idea how to tell if they are offering those thing legally or illegally. I have only made copies from pages that specifically said free. I do not ever want to steal intellectual property.

41. Can I get a WOOT WOOT?

42. Your talent and work has blessed my family. Thanks for all you do!! Sorry this had to be addressed.

43. Well written, anointed post.

May God, as your provider, always bless your ministry and your diligence. As well as, restore anything to you that ever has been lost or stollen 100 fold.

XO

44. Erica – it is awful that some of the groups – but not all groups are created equal – I am in a group but only your site is shared or people are directed to your site – you are an amazing resourse! You have made me a much better teacher. I work for a church oureach preschool. I have some of your things that I have laminated and can use with my kiddos – we do not have much of any kind of budget so I truly truly appreciate all the work you have done!!! Thank you sooo soo much from the bottom of my heart! I also understand – I have some clipart that I bought and have made some things to share with a group I am in those things have been posted all over the place and there were not supposed to – apparently people even take the tou of the items I have made out of the file. The group owner has really helped she has cut out people that have done this and not let them back into the group. Not sure how she back tracked etc. and if someone does share a file that was not to be shared she is on it immediately saying this was not to be shared please please do not download etc. Hope that it makes you feel a little better that some groups are inspired by you and do the right thing.

• Hi Angie, You are correct, not all groups are built around these practices, and I’m so thankful to know that there are others who are built around good moral principles! Thank you so much for sharing my website and others in your group, and a HUGE thank you to your group monitor for her faithful service to you all!

45. Thank you so much for sharing this! It is definitely a much bigger problem than I imagined, and it’s so disappointing.

You have graciously offered so many freebies over the years, and all of your other products are so reasonably priced, so please don’t feel discouraged! We are all grateful for everything you do!

PS. I love your blogging notebook!

46. I am not aware of what this “sharing” is, I only know that we would never be able to homeschool without you and your hard work. We have purchased every curriculum you offer and it is a blessing to our family not only because it’s content is superb but because it is so very affordable. For anyone to steal from you or from other creative mom’s willing to share their talents is criminal. Beautifully written and I do hope it speaks to those who are not setting a good Christian example for other moms or for their children. God Bless.

47. Sorry that you have to deal this. You are very generous and affordable and I say thank you!

48. I just wanna say that I thought my little ones deleted my purchased curriculum from you and I was getting ready to order it again. Lol. That’s how much we use your LOTW and K4. But I did find the purchased files a few hours later. Yippy! As a homeschool group member it really saddens me to read this. I can assure you that my children only my children use what I purchased and they love it. Our homeschool group focuses on individualized curriculum so everyone’s content is different. more awareness of these issues need to put out there. Some people may not realize that they are or maybe doing wrong. And I never thought about the actually link to the pdf…I hope I haven’t did that in the past. Also I was wondering what about the copyright that you have aren’t they suppose to notify you when a file is posted or transferred? Just wandering because I had the same copyright on my website? Well I hope these issues get resolved and awareness spreads and I hope your sales triples. Maybe it’s time to have a local homeschool group meeting to raise awareness? And Erica so sorry from one homeschooler to another. Please don’t let this discourage you for this is a ministry in it’s self. A gift He has given you.

• Hi Penny, You NEVER have to repurchase files from me, so if that ever happens again, just email me and I’ll update your download links so you can re-download! :o) Thank you so much for all of your support and encouragement!

• You are a blessing to me and an encouragement. I’m going to host an awareness meeting soon in my area mainly on internet items like this and internet safety for the entire family.thanks

49. Very well said, Erica! Thank you so much for this post! As a homeschooler and blogger, who creates curriculum, I greatly appreciate your stand on the matter!!

50. What a very well-worded post. I just recently purchased your toddler and K4 curriculum to use with my boys and love it. It is sad that some people abuse the usage policy especially since your curriculum is so well priced. Thank you for all of your hard work and thank you even more for sharing what you create!

51. Thank you for addressing this, and in such a great way. You couldn’t have said it better. Many years ago, I downloaded some songs for free from an internet site. God really convicted me, and I erased them and repurchased them legally. Sometimes satan can trick us into thinking something isn’t really that bad, that there is a justification, or that no one is really getting hurt. Praying for all those who are believing such lies. Small things lead to big things; this is how all sin works. I can’t imagine the amount of work that goes into running a blog and making printables. Your work deserves the utmost respect. I thank you.

52. Thank you, Erica. You were able to sound an alarm in a fashion that was full of grace. I pray hearts are turned because of it.

53. I just wanted to express my gratitude to you. I sat at home late at night trying to decide if I could homeschool my kids. I came across your blog with the wonderful ideas and creative printables and was overwhelmed by your generosity to help moms like me. So thank you!

54. Thank you so much Erica for all you do, and I’m sorry you are dealing with this. I have bought a few things from you and think they are all worth much more than what I paid. You do wonderful work and I wish people realized the time and effort that goes into what you produce. Although I’ve never shared one of your files, I have certainly recommended your websites and products to many friends!

55. I belong to a FB group and just recently saw a post about Dropbox and sharing files…I just posted: are these files that were purchased because I don’t want to be involved in an unethical group. I have a bad feeling about it and ill wait to hear the replies, but I am going to delete myself from the group. I want my kids to learn about being honest and it starts with learning from me!!

Erica, I have purchased everything of yours and will continue to do so. Thank you for all that you do.

56. Jessica from Charlotte says:

Yes…..beautifully said. It is because of you and the curriculum that you make available that I am not as overwhelmed to begin homeschooling my twin 4th graders and 1st grader. This is a new adventure we feel called to do. Your tips and advice help calm my nerves and make me think “I might be able to pull this off”

I hope people wake up and see what their actions are doing.

Thank you so much for everything!!!!!!

57. Erica,

I have been following your blog for at least a year now and have been homeschooling for almost 2 years. I just want to thank you for all that you do to make our family’s homeschooling experience a great one! We have been using your curriculum for a several months and love it! It saddens me to know that people are illegally obtaining your materials. I hope this will not discourage you from continuing to make them available at such affordable prices. Praying that God would continue to bless your family through this ministry.

Thanks for all you do!

58. I love the products we have purchased from you! It is just wrong that people would think it is okay to use your stuff illegally!

59. No one would respond to my questions about the files they share being ethical so…I deleted myself from the group. Just makes me sad to know that homeschoolers are being dishonest. I guess I just have higher expectations. :(

60. Thank you Erica for all you do! You offer the most adoarble curricululm that is wonderful! I purchased the LOTW and when you had your sale, I purchased all of the big ticket items! Your prices are so reasonable, it is sad to think others would steal. Thank you again! You’ve changed the way we look at homeschool education~!

61. I have to tell you that I have been casually following your site for years. But now that my son is 4, I would like to start “formally” teaching him at home. I have been researching so MANY MANY sites on ideas and you are by far my favorite! Thank you for all your hard work! It truly shows how much time, effort, and care you put in!

62. KimberlyBH says:

We bought the “packet” deal of your curriculum that included a bunch of other ebooks. What an awesome purchase! I am always confused when I get letters that talk about stealing. I search myself to see if I had inadvertantly used someone’s material w/o permission. Actually, I had not. It was a good reminder to be careful what we are using and it’s purpose or permission.

Unfortunately, those that share do justify and I am not sure how much help they can be given. However, the rest of us that have not crossed over into the darkside will be duly reminded to walk in the light and truth. Knowing that we will be blessed with being able to buy it, or knowing that we just really didn’t need it and there will be something around the corner that works for us. ;-)

63. I know I’m late in chiming in – but well said, girl. Well said. :)

64. It makes me so sad that people would take advantage of you like that :( And after all of the wonderful freebies and great ideas you already give us!!! I had no problem paying for your curriculum (and I purchased just about all of it when you had your 30% off sale ;) ) and I’m so excited to use it with my kiddos next year!! I also share your blog any chance I get to other homeschool mommas, in hopes that they will be blessed as I have been….and I hope and pray that in spite of people’s bad judgement, you and your family will be blessed tenfold for all you do!!! THANK YOU :)

65. Ashley Lindsey says:

Erica,
    I have not been aware of this illegal file sharing. I am stunned. But I wanted to say thank YOU for what YOU do. I bought your K4 curriculum and use it with my boys and it is amazing. I organized my school room based on your tried and tested items. I am a new hoomeschooler and just want the best for my boys and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. You are such an inspiration!

66. Dear Erica,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this! I have purchased your LOTW curriculum and appreciate all you do! I have not started homeschooling yet but this has really helped me with understanding how file sharing works.

Thanks for being such a blessing to the homeschooling community!

Rachel

67. As someone who was misinformed and guilty of sharing I want to say here in front of the world. I AM SORRY! I did not realize it was illegal and since finding out not only do I no longer share anything but I have tried to inform others. I posted a message on a facebook group I help run to help inform other homeschool families. I have also tried to contact other groups on facebook to inform them. Personally I didn’t realize and I have prayed for forgiveness as well as you wonderful ladies. Maybe by being someone who admitted I was wrong and is attempting in some way to right that wrong I can find peace in my own heart. I truly am sorry even though I feel sorry is not enough to say. I know that my group was told by someone who said they were a copy right lawyer that it was legal as long as we did not sell the material. Now I know that is not the case. I have tried to contact Erica personally to apologize via email and I hope she did get that message, if not I hope she reads this one and knows just how sorry I am. The real wrong would be to continue to share after knowing that it is not right to do so. Again I am so sorry! Rayne

• Rayne,

I am MOST certain that Erica has accepted the apology and think that your publicly posting here is a HUGE step. Thanks so much for your honesty and openness. :) Praying for peace in your heart. {hugs from afar}. ~ Jolanthe

• Jolanthe, Erica and I have spoke in private message since I wrote this and I have made it my mission to try and inform as many homeschool families that also may have been misinformed that it is wrong and illegal. Hopefully the more we speak out the less it will happen. Learning from a mistake is the best way to spiritual grow,lol. Thank you for your kind words.- Rayne

68. Lizzy Neiger says:

So well said. I have tried to make a few of my own resources here and there, and wow, I have a lot of respect for those of you who take the painstaking time to turn all those idea into cute printable materials. It’s incredibly time consuming so it is absolutely worth paying for! I have all the resources to make my own materials, but I would be a wreck if I had to!

69. Your article blessed me, Erica, as have the many homeschool moms whose comments here reflect hearts of integrity. I wrote an article about copyright and consumable workbooks for Practical Homeschooling Magazine, and the backlash was incredible. I cannot tell you how many homeschoolers–Christian homeschoolers–tried to argue that their purchase gives them full rights to photocopy at will, regardless of what the copyright states. Thanks for being a fellow paddler in the uphill swim against copyright infringement!

If anyone is interested, here’s a link to the article: http://www.writeshop.com/blog/2013/04/18/copyright-consumable-workbooks/

70. I also love your materials and will be using several of them this coming year with my third-grader. Keep up the good work, and if there are a few bad eggs out there who don’t appreciate the value of your work, and cause problems for you, there are many more of us for each one of them who are more than happy to spread your blog posts far and wide all over Facebook for you!

71. Ohhh Erica!! I’m just finding out about this!!! I’m completely shocked that fellow homeschoolers would do this to you! I’m heartbroken to hear about what has happened to you but please know that I’m here to help you in any way that I can! :)

72. Oh my word!! I am so sorry you are having to deal with this. I pray that FB will see who was actually in the wrong and take the appropriate action. It would only take them a few minutes to see that you are the legitimate one. I hope that they take those few minutes. :(

73. You have my support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 110%

74. Christine says:

Hi Erica! I’m sorry for your troubles here lately, but I just wanted to tell you a “ginormous” THANK YOU for your awesome curriculums! I found your blog about six months ago during our first year of homeschooling. We just purchased your K4, Roadtrip USA, and the literature unit studies for our second year, and my husband and I are so excited for our kids to learn this upcoming year!! Thank you for your organization and every effort you put into your work- it is AMAZING:) God bless you and your family!

75. Illegal file sharers fall into two groups: those who do so because they don’t know any better and those who do so because their sense of entitlement leads them to believe they have the “right.” The actions of the second group will never be changed by a post like this one, but at least there is hope for the others. I wrote on this topic several years ago and recently republished that post (as a response to some of those entitlement minded folks). You can find it here: http://www.lilliputstation.blogspot.com/2013/04/dont-bite-hands-that-bless-you.html

76. When I was much younger, I learned to deal with the temptation of not paying for what I should by asking myself, How much is my integrity worth? That question got me every time and kicked the temptation in the bum!

77. Julie Park says:

Thank you for this post. I know that most people don’t intend to steal or share illegally. I certainly love getting freebies but not at the loss of those who worked so hard to give it to us. Usually when I share it’s something that was encouraged by the publisher to share and then we either ‘share’ the original link or link to the website that has more details. That said, what would be the best way to share products that are freebies that we’ve found? I’m unclear on that. Thank you!

78. Wow! I can’t believe people do that! Here I am, two kids, a laid off husband, just getting into start casually homeschooling my littlest, saving my pennies in paypal to purchase your LOTW resources (that I just stumbled upon a few days ago!) and people have the nerve to just share it for free? That is insane. I will gladly save, as long as I have to – to purchase it properly! WOW! Some people…

79. With your curriculum at the price you sell it, it’s very affordable. We are tight budget homeschoolers and we bought both Road Trip America and the whole world one (forgot the name) and was completely pleased with the product and price!! THANK YOU!

I was also saddened to hear about FB. I hope it’s resolved quickly!!

80. I just found out about this letter because CHEK (Christian Home Educators of Kentucky) posted on facebook the blog “Calling all homeschoolers” So in due diligence before jumping on any band wagon I checked to see what caused the issue and to my dismay it is true again and I think how dissatisfied God must be more so with the self-righteous people who call themselves Christians yet have no fruit or rotted fruit. It has to be worse for Him to know that people know better but rationalize their inappropriate behavior than to see the lost do things against His Glory. I know of too many church goers who copy music, copy books, copy movies and pass them around either freely or in some cases I had a so-called Christian tell me he knows where I can get any movie for the cost of a blank DVD. Really people who inappropriately copy another person’s work calls themselves Christians. I know there is some times when we wrong people and maybe you can make an argument that it is unintentional and they could try to make you believe it is OK. But Piracy continues to get worse and I can’t help but think that a lot of it is “Christians”. I think there is a bigger picture here in America and that is it is this rationalization that has led the country to the slippery slope that it is on currently. That is just my opinion though and I have found that having an opinion based on God’s Holy Word is not a very popular opinion so I am OK if people disagree with me.

81. Not everyone who creates pintables shares your view! I’m a public school teacher and whenever I upload things to teachers pay teachers I post them as free. I don’t create things for personal gain, I do it to help kids learn, and teachers teach. If a teacher downloads something I created and shares it with her teammates then kudos to them for collaborating. My teammates and sometimes find free stuff together online when we plan, but instead of wasting time and downloading it multiple times we do it once and share it. We don’t share paid stuff at least I don’t… but free is free. Sharing saves time!

82. I think it’s really sad that some here would question the salvation of other believers just be ause they themselves wouldn’t do such a horrible thing. We have ALL sinned! Perfection doesn’t gain you salvation. Belief does. Lets have a little grace.

83. How ridiculous for people to steal something that is free or dirt cheap since all of your wonderful curriculum is one or the other. However it is just like those types of people to be offended for being called out. I am on your side and will be requesting FaceBook “man up” so to say and reinstate your profile. :) Hang in there.

84. Oh my goodness- I am so sorry this happened and caused you any stress what so ever! Your work is so affordable and professional- how could anyone not see this as stealing? Shame on them and THANK YOU for all your work, ideas, and support!!

85. Christina says:

I am saddened that this happens as well and join you in prayer for those who are involved. I love your products and have purchased a few of them, including LOTW. I often send my friends to this site to see what you have because I think it is a great resource for homeschoolers. Thank you for all you do!

• Christina says:

I just realized that this is an older post. I just saw it today though. I am still sorry about what happened and thankful for you and the work you do for homeschoolers!

86. Hey Erica,

I am very sorry to hear what happened to your facebook page! Copyrights are a very sticky business and most people don’t take the time to do their homework. If the members of that group claim to be Christians at all I hope they get convicted of breaking copyright laws and being so deceitful and mean spirited. Most people don’t like to admit they did anything wrong even when they are caught red handed!

I hope everything works out okay and you get your facebook page back.

Best wishes,