2015 4th Grade Homeschool Schedule

Hi everyone! I’m back today with our 2015 4th grade daily schedule. Honestly I can’t believe that Tinker Bell is in the 4th grade this year! She’s still a first grader in my eyes. So when I was planning her year and adding 4th grade subjects to her list I can honestly say I shed a few tears. They really do grow up so fast!

But my sentimentality won’t stop time, and so I persevered and came up with a 4th grade schedule for my sweet girl. Tinker Bell is 9 years old, she’ll turn 10 in February. She’s starting fourth grade this year and here’s her line up:

4thgradeSchedule

Download a copy:

Here’s our Basic Kindergarten Schedule:

• 8:30am – Breakfast / Family Devotion Time
  • 9:00am – Calendar Time & Pledge of Allegiance
  • 9:15am – Bible
  • 9:30am – Math
  • 10:30am – English
  • 11:00am – Handwriting
  • 11:20am – Vocabulary
  • 11:30am – Spelling
  • 11:45am – Reading
  • 12:15pm – Lunch
  • 1:00pm – History (M/T), Science (W,TH)
  • 2:00pm – Piano (Mon), Art (Tues), Music (Wed), Typing (Thurs)
  • 2:30pm – Writing (M/W), Literature (Tues/Thurs)
  • 5:00pm – Sports start! Tinker Bell plays inline hockey on M/W and Swimming on T/Th.

Like Miss Lady Bug, she also does an options program on Fridays, so she gets to do a lot of fun elective type classes such as art, music, PE, science, & Spanish. She enjoys a day with friends, and I get to enjoy a day off! It does provide a challenge when fitting our normal curriculum into 4 days per week, and so I either eliminate some lessons, or fit our curriculum into our available days which means we double up on some lessons.

If you’d like to see what curriculum she’s using this year, make sure to check out our 2015-2016 curriculum post!

• Sam Lehmann (Samantha) August 10, 2015 at 11:00 am

I just love you! Thank you for all that you offer to all of us… I’ve been passing you on to the newbies trying to teach little bitties in PrK and K (from workbooks aahhh). They are loving your printables. Mostly I site you on Facebook in groups. I met Jolanthe at the IHM Conference – LOVE HER – sorry – rock star moment – we were selling Nancy Larson Science. So when you see all my mentions on FB… it’s all out of gratitude and helping others. My youngest is one year younger than Tinker Bell… so they were doing the same things together. It really helped me. And Carissa’s stuff, too. 😉

Sam

• erica August 18, 2015 at 2:24 pm

Thanks for sharing about us, and I hope you have a great year!

• Corrie August 10, 2015 at 6:58 pm

Does your 4th grader work on her own most of the time? What subjects do you actively teach to your kids? I would love to see your master schedule for you if you have the time.
    Thanks!

• erica August 18, 2015 at 2:24 pm

She does a mix of independent and dependent work. I normally always teach English and help with Math. Then I teach history/science/art. The other stuff like vocab, handwriting, typing, reading she does on her own mostly except of course I check her work and we do the comprehension reading questions together.

• Erica August 11, 2015 at 10:55 am

Hi I was wondering what you use for writing and literature? And what do you mean by English ? Thanks so much trying to map out our home school year ?

• erica August 18, 2015 at 2:22 pm

Hi Erica,
      We use a seperate writing program from our English/Grammar one. We use BJU English for the sentence structure, nouns, verbs, etc. Then IEW for writing, which teaches how to formulate paragraphs and write a well formed story, including quality adjectives, ly- adverbs, who/which clauses, because clause, etc. BJU English does have a writing section every other chapter, however I just don’t really love how they teach it, and IEW does a much better job at teaching kids the steps of how to formulate stories where BJU tells students to write a story without much direction.

• AmyS August 11, 2015 at 8:00 pm

I love a good schedule! In fact, I’m often better at scheduling things out than I am at actually executing it. I wish your family a successful year 🙂

• Rebekah August 12, 2015 at 2:03 pm

I noticed that you do History two days and Science/Geo two days. How do you manage to finish a curriculum within a year only working two days per week? I’m trying to figure out a better schedule that will allow us to be more consistent with these subjects without overwhelming my boys.
    Thanks!

• erica August 18, 2015 at 2:26 pm

I basically make the curriculum fit into my schedule. So some days we do one lesson, and some days we double up. especially if it’s a shorter lesson. You can also take a look at your curriculum and see if there are things you’ve already covered that can be skipped to help out as well.

And keep in mind that in traditional schools, they almost never finish the entire text book each year 🙂 So pick what you want to teach out of your curriculum and make it work for you!

• cami August 15, 2015 at 8:53 pm

I’m also wondering about your schedule and what subjects are more independent than others. Specifically I’m wondering about how she/you finish BJU english in 30m? Do you have to teach it each day?

• erica August 17, 2015 at 9:49 am

Hi Cami,
      English is not an independent subject for us right now. I usually combine lessons for my older two so I teach them together, and then they do their worksheets after that. It usually takes about 30 -45 min. These schedules are a basic outline of how our day goes, and how much time I allot each subject. Sometimes it can take less, sometimes more depending on the lesson 🙂

• Donna August 18, 2015 at 7:59 pm

Erica,

Thanks so much for sharing so many great ideas and resources! I have a question about scheduling PE. I notice it only once and wondered, because this is such a difficult thing for us to schedule, when you include it? When the kids are in an organized sport, no problem, but for those off-season times……

Anyway, thanks in advance! Donna

• Rhonda October 5, 2015 at 2:54 am

Do you stop for morning tea break? My boys need a break mid morning to burn some energy off?

• Sonia April 3, 2016 at 4:51 pm

Erica,
    You use All About Spelling for the younger grades, but I only see about 15 minutes allotted for this subject. AAS is very teacher intensive, so I am very curious as to how you manage to teach at different levels. I think the older ones now do BJU, but I wanted to ask more when all were younger.
    Next year I will have a kinder, 2nd, 4th graders; and I like the AAS phonics focus.
    Just wanted to see if you had any advice or suggestions.
    Thank you so much!
    Sonia

• erica April 4, 2016 at 10:12 am

I break up the AAS lessons in half so that we do a quick new teaching one day, then the review and activity the next day. We usually don’t spend more than 15 minutes or so on it.

• Andrea Herrera September 10, 2016 at 10:14 pm

How do you teach all your different level kids at the same time?