HowToMakeReadingFun_thumb.jpg

Tip Tuesday: How to Make Reading Fun

Hi everyone, I’m back today with another fun Tip Tuesday for you all.

I remember when we first started homeschooling. I had visions of kids cuddling up and reading quietly on the couch during the afternoons. It was just one of the many preconceived notions that I had about homeschooling.

HowToMakeReadingFun

But just like all of my other stereotypes, my envisioned reading scenario wasn’t playing out in our home. Now that’s not always a bad thing, because I’ve learned over the years that each homeschool looks different. And that’s okay, flexibility is what homeschooling is all about!

However I do want to teach my kids to enjoy reading. I want them to read for both fun, and to learn about things that are interesting to them.

Over the past several years we’ve tried all kinds of structured reading programs. And today I want to share what I’ve learned over the course of our homeschooling years, and how we’ve moved out of the structured reading curriculum box and into a whole new world of learning!

Find out how in today’s Tip Tuesday: How to Make Reading Fun!

I hope you found today’s video helpful. And remember, whether you’re a home full of readers, or one struggling to get your kids interested in reading, it’s okay! Each homeschool is different. So make sure to do what works best for your family.

And don’t forget to check out my Reading Incentives post to help motivate your students!

• Lindsey March 1, 2016 at 5:53 am

Great video! Any suggestions on books that your son has really liked?

• erica March 1, 2016 at 10:39 am

Some of his faves are the Gregor the Underland Chronicles, Percy Jackson series, and the Kingdom Series by Chuck Black.

• Michelle March 1, 2016 at 11:25 am

Erica, my nine year old son is LOVING the Percy Jackson series. 🙂 His other favorite is Guardians of Ga’Hoole series.

• erica March 9, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Oh, we haven’t read the Guardians series, I’ll have to check that out thanks!

• Evelyn March 1, 2016 at 1:59 pm

Afternoon Erica ~ Thank you for posting this video. Even though our little ones are younger, I just ordered the first in the Kingdom Series by Chuck Black. By chance, can you recommend any books for boys in the first or second grade reading level. Again, thank you for this post, video, and replies above.

• Lynda March 1, 2016 at 11:10 am

Loved the video! We are still in the learning to read phase and it is going pretty slow. We are about half way through AAR Level 2, but my son still struggles a lot. Any tips for this stage or favorite beginning readers that he might enjoy?

• Evelyn March 1, 2016 at 2:04 pm

Hi Erica ~ This is the same level I was asking about in my reply above. Thank you again for any reading suggestions (books) for boys this age. Have a blessed day!

• erica March 9, 2016 at 2:13 pm

I think I would suggest you reading with him. Have him read a page, then you read a page, and so on. Alternating will help give him a break, but also work his skills at the same time. And if he’s anything like my kids, they like reading with me. I would also head to the library and find books that interest him. They don’t have to be fictional readers, but maybe something non-fiction that he’s into like animals, etc.

Also the books in my Classic lit vol. 2 pack are kind of geared towards boys, so you might want to check those out. The classic start books are abridged versions of the classics so they’re much easier to read for younger readers.

• Becca March 4, 2016 at 2:13 pm

Thank you for your Tip Tuesday videos! I look forward to them!