Hi friends! I’m back with another video in my How to Quilt series. Today I’ll be showing you how to free motion quilt! This has been one of my most highly requested videos, and I’m hoping that it will inspire you to give free motion quilting a try. I know it can sound a little intimidating, but I assure you that it’s a lot of fun, and I think you’ll be glad that you gave it a go!
To free motion quilt you’ll need the following supplies:
- A Free Motion Quilting foot for your machine (This link goes to FMQ foot for a Juki, you’ll want to get one that fits your specific machine.)
- Machingers quilting gloves
- A practice piece of batting & fabric (basted together and ready to go)
- Thread (I use Aurifil 50wt 100% Cotton thread)
- Needle (I use Organ 80/12 or 90/14 needles)
I hope you enjoyed that video and that it helps you out in your quilting journey!
If you just tuned in, here are my previous videos in my How to Quilt Series!
- Quilting Supplies: What do you need to get started?
- How to Choose a Sewing Machine
- How to Choose Fabric
- How to Cut Fabric
- How to Piece a Quilt Top
- How to Press Fabric
- How to Baste a Quilt
Here are a few more of my Quilting Tutorials online if you’re just getting started:
- Sherbet Stars Quilt Tutorial
- Pink Pig Rag Quilt Tutorial
- DIY Tic-Tac-Toe Board Game (*Great for learning beginning skills!)
- Patchwork Book Cover
- Quilt-as-you-go Book Cover
- Kids Pillow with Pocket
- How to Applique’ Basics (Don’t worry it’s super easy!)
- Thread Catcher Tutorial
To keep up with our shenanigans, feel free to follow me:
And don’t forget to follow Fat Quarter Shop’s social media to keep up with all of their fun projects!
Fat Quarter Shop is giving away a free Aurifil First Blush Thread Set to one of you! Enter below!