Patchwork Tote Bag Tutorial

Hi friends! Today I’m going to show you how to make a really fun and easy patchwork quilted tote bag. It’s super cute and beginner friendly too!

Watch my Quilted Patchwork Tote Bag Tutorial here!

Supplies used:

PatchworkTote_2

Cutting instructions:

Outside fabric:  If creating your own unique outside fabric, final measurement should be about 14.5” x 27”

• Top fabric: Cut two pieces 3.5” x 14.5”
  • Patchwork section: 1 Moda Mini-Charm pack OR 42 – 2.5” x 2.5” squares
  • Bottom: Cut one piece 9” x 14.5”

Lining Fabric:

• Cut two pieces 13.5” x 14.5”. (If you’re using fat quarters like I am cut two pieces of 10.5” x 14.5” and two pieces of 3.5” x 14.5”)

Straps:

• Cut two 4” x 22” strips

Pocket:

• Cut one 9” x 11.5” piece

Batting: (For a bag that holds its shape better you can use fusible fleece or Fusible Foam stabilizer. )

• Outside piece: 30” x 16”
  • Pocket piece: 5-1/4” x 6 3/4”
  • Strap pieces: Two 1-1/4” x 22” strips

Finished bag size: 12” h x 13.5” w

Here are some more fun quilting tutorials for you!

Disclosure: Some links above are affiliate links. Thank you so much for supporting my blog in this way!

• Megan October 13, 2017 at 5:19 pm

Love it, it is so cute can’t wait to make some for Christmas presents! Did you get your charm packs online or is there a fabric store that sells them?

• erica October 16, 2017 at 1:15 pm

I usually get them on Etsy or at Fat Quarter Shop.

• Lezlie Bronico April 23, 2018 at 2:39 pm

I love how you made this step by step. It was easy to follow as a beginner. I chose more bold colors for mine and I can’t wait to start making some for friends.

• Carol Gerbitz June 4, 2018 at 2:44 pm

Can I get printed instructions?

• erica June 8, 2018 at 9:18 am

There are cutting instructions in this blog post, but the assembly instructions are the video. Sorry, no written download!

• Michele T June 5, 2018 at 4:31 am

A friend shared this tote pattern with me and I love it!

• Kathleen Rackow September 16, 2018 at 5:02 pm

Erica I love this Patchwork Tote Bag and I purchased the exact same Moda Mini Charm Pack. You give very good instructions and that makes this project easy to understand.

• Lorraine Arsenault November 11, 2018 at 5:09 pm

Thank you for such a wonderful video. Easy to follow. I love it !!!
    This was my first project and I just love my little tote 😊

• Karen Pollard March 12, 2019 at 2:44 pm

I am not an auditory learner. I must have written instructions to be able read several times in order to follow them. Very disappointing that you don’t have them all written out.

• erica March 25, 2019 at 11:40 am

Hi Karen,
      I apologize, I do have the cutting instructions written out for you. And I’m working on adding written instructions for my video projects for future depending on time and complexity. Sometimes it’s easier to show how to do something in a video rather than write it down.

• Lori March 12, 2019 at 10:07 pm

I’m going to make one.

• Amelia Thorpe March 14, 2019 at 2:29 pm

Hi!

I just finished making this little bag as a 30th birthday present for my friend with all fabrics that reminded me of our childhood, I absolutely love it! The video was really easy to follow and I’m quite new to sewing/quilting, Thanks so much.

• erica March 25, 2019 at 11:39 am