Hi everyone! I’m so excited to review Loving Living Math by Cindy West for you today! I listened to Cindy’s session at the last HOTM Online conference and immediately wanted to add some living math into our homeschool days!
What is Living Math?
Living Math is simply introducing math to your students using real-life situations. It is typically hands-on, fun, and can include anything from board games, cooking, logic games, and more! Cindy suggests using your standard math text book 3 days a week, then using fun living math lessons 2 days a week.
I haven’t quite gotten that far yet, but I am planning to implement these lessons next year. I am currently planning to do 4 days of text book math, then one day of fun Living Math.
What’s Included? Cindy’s book has ideas, resources, and printables for topics such as:
- Problem solving
- Skill and drill
- Living literature
- Everyday opportunities
- Math projects
- Incorporating other subjects
What’s the Cost? $8.95
Cindy’s book is full of great ideas, games and resources to get you going with Living Math in your homeschool! Most text books leave out real-life lessons important in problem solving and logical thinking. Cindy shows how you can add in these skills in a fun, educational manner that with teach problem solving skills that will inevitably be part of your child’s life in the future!
What Do I Think?
I love Cindy’s ideas and can’t wait to get started! I’ve already added in some fun games randomly, and they’ve been a huge hit with the kids! I’m working on a list of ideas that I can use for next year so I’m not flying by the seat of my pants. Of course I’ll share them with you when I’m done. I’m not quite ready to pair down my traditional math curriculum to 3 days a week, but I am planning to do Living Math at least once a week.
Can’t wait for the giveaway? Click here to get your copy now!
Make sure to stop by Cindy’s blog @ www.ourjourneywestward.com, and her store @ www.shiningdawnbooks.com.
For more information, visit Cindy’s Blog for more Living Math ideas!
As you know, I love to do giveaways to bless all of you as well, and Cindy was kind enough to offer TWO FREE copies of Loving Living Math to my readers!
Mandatory Entry for Giveaway:
- Leave a comment on this post letting me know you’d like to win!
Additional Optional Entries: (After completing the below tasks, make sure to come back here and leave a comment letting me know you did so you can get your extra entries!)
- Follow Shining Dawn Books on Facebook
- Blog about this giveaway, come back and leave a comment with your blog post URL.
- Facebook about this giveaway, come back and let me know
- Tweet about this giveaway:
@ericahomeschool is giving away Loving Living Math! Click here to enter: http://tinyurl.com/42egqwc
- Become a fan of Confessions of a Homeschooler on FB
- Subscribe via email to Confessions of a Homeschooler
**Yes, you can enter if you already follow or subscribe, I love my readers! :o)
- The give away will be open until midnight EST Friday April 29, 2011. Winner will be announced by Sunday May 1, 2011.
- Make sure to leave a separate comment for each entry, winner will be chosen at random!
- Please leave a way for me to contact you in your entry otherwise another winner will be chosen.
- NOTE: This giveaway is offered worldwide.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.
Please Note: In order to enter the contest you must leave a comment on THIS post. To leave a comment scroll to the bottom of the post and click “Post a comment” (Facebook comments will not count, if you are reading this via RSS, you will need to visit my actual blog to post a comment.)
Disclosure: I was provided me with a free copy of Living Loving Math to review on my blog. The opinions I have given are mine and may differ from others but were not influenced by the company or the free product provided.