Soft Pretzel Recipe
I’ve been through several soft pretzel recipes, and so far this one tastes the best to us.
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 1 Tbsp yeast
- 1/4 c brown sugar (Can substitute sucanat)
- 3 1/2 – 4 c whole wheat flour (Can substitute 2 cups bread flour + 2 c. regular flour)
- Melted butter to rub on baked pretzels.
- Course Salt (I use sea salt)
- 1/4 Cup baking soda
- 2 1/2 Cup very hot water
Directions: (Makes about 9 pretzels)
- STEP 1: Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- STEP 2: Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- STEP 3: Add sugar, stir to dissolve, THEN add flour and mix until combined well. Do not over knead or dough will be tough.
- STEP 4: Cut dough into 9 even chunks then roll into ropes and shape into pretzels, or whatever you children come up with.
- STEP 5: Prepare dipping solution: Stir baking soda into hot water until dissolved, then using a slotted spoon dip formed pretzels into the solution for a couple sections each and place onto greased baking sheet.
- STEP 6: Bake for 4-5 minutes or unit pretzels are golden on top.
- STEP 7: Either brush butter on warm pretzels, or melt it and dip the pretzels in the butter to coat. Sprinkle as desired with course salt. (Can also spray with water instead of butter to make topping stick)
- Cinnamon Sugar: Add 1/4 tsp to dough and then after baking, dip in butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar instead of salt.
- Pizza: Top with garlic salt and parmesan cheese then dip in marinara sauce.
Note: This is a good freezer item, you can make several of these, just don’t put any butter or toppings on. Freeze them in a Gallon Ziploc bag. When ready to eat, simply pull out and set on counter to thaw. Once thawed, warm a touch in microwave (not too long or they’ll be tough), then add desired toppings and serve.