Black Beauty Unit Study
Welcome to day 2 of the 2012 ~ 10 Days of Homeschooling Blog Hop! As I mentioned yesterday, this year my topic is 10 Days of Classic Literature. Over the next 10 days I will be sharing one unit study each day, for a total of 10 units you can go through with your students!
Psst….GIVEAWAY ALERT!…at the end of the blog hop I’ll be offering a Giveaway for the ENTIRE set of Classical Literature unit studies, so make sure to enter at the bottom of this post!
Each unit study contains educational lessons, activities and a fun lap book that your students will work on as they progress through the book. They also include book reports, vocabulary, critical thinking, story timelines, and comprehension. These studies are geared towards grades Kindergarten-4th, but can probably be adapted for older students as well.
I really designed these units to be a fun addition to reading the classics. I didn’t want them to be too stressful for myself or my kiddos, but instead give them something fun to do along with the stories to help them remember what they’ve learned in a fun hands-on way. The lap books included are wonderful for reviewing subject matter, and a great creative interactive homeschooling tool.
And without any further ado…here is today’s unit:
Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
Black Beauty is a novel that was originally meant for horse lovers, but it quickly became one of the best selling books of all time. It was written by author Anna Sewell during the last years of her life, with Sewell dying just five months after its release. This novel not only addresses animal welfare, but also teaches its readers how to treat people with kindness, sympathy, and respect.
The story tells the tale of Black Beauty, a sensitive and intelligent horse who shares a lifetime of his feelings, hopes, and dreams. The story follows Black Beauty through his life falling on hard times, good times, and learning life lessons. The novel is told from the horses point of view and has memorable characters which help make it a delightful read!
As you proceed through the novel students will create a fun lap book to help solidify what they’ve learned through reading.
This unit includes an educational horse lap book full of vocabulary, horse care, character studies, and more.
Here is another view of the lap book with the top flap opened up. Inside students learn about different horse breeds, facial and leg markings, and horse gaits.
The units also include forms for predicting story plots, character analysis, identifying the protagonist and antagonist, a story timeline, and a final book report on the novel.
Get your copy today and start learning with classic literature!
Can’t wait? You can get the whole set of 10 Classical Literature Units at a discount! Click below:
Since I love to give things away for free, I’m offering a giveaway for all 10 Literature units!
Simple leave a comment below to enter to win! I’ll be choosing 1 winner from all 10 days of comments, so make sure to come back and leave a comment for each study release!
Additional Optional Entries: (not required to win, leave a separate comment on this post for each additional entry)
- Join my Google+ Circle!
- Like Confessions on Facebook
- Subscribe via email to Confessions of a Homeschooler or Subscribe via RSS
- Follow Confessions on Twitter
- Tweet about this giveaway, feel free to copy the text below:
Enter to win the Classic Lit Unit Pack from @ericahomeschool! Enter thru 4/27/11! http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/?p=8163
Nitty Gritty Giveaway Details:
- The give away will be open until midnight EST Friday April 27, 2012. Winner will be announced by Monday April 30, 2012.
- No purchase necessary to win.
- Must be 18 years of age or older to enter.
- If prize winner forfeits or does not claim the prize, prize will be re-awarded at my sole discretion.
- Void where prohibited by law.
- Make sure to leave a separate comment for each entry, winner will be chosen at random!
- This giveaway is offered to US residents only!
- Odds of winning based on number of entries.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.
- NOTE: In order to enter the contest you must leave a comment on my blog post. To leave a comment scroll to the bottom of the post and fill in the “Speak Your Mind” form. (If you are reading this via RSS, you will need to visit my actual blog to post a comment.)
- Disclosure: I am offering a pack of all 10 unit studies for giveaway on my blog.
Click any of the buttons below to visit my 10 Day Series posts! If you missed day 1, make sure to visit my 10 Days of Classic Literature series to see all of my units!
The 10 Days Series is organized by iHomeschool Network, a collaboration of outstanding homeschool bloggers who connect with each other and with family-friendly companies in mutually beneficial projects. Visit us on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter. And of course, click the image below to visit all the 10 Days posts from these homeschool moms of the iHomeschool Network.
With 28 blogs participating that’s 280 posts packed full of great educational activities for your family!