Homemade Pom-Pom Magnets

We use magnets for a  lot of our Letter of the Week activities, and counting etc.  My original set lasted for about two years before the pom-poms started falling off, so it was time to make more for the Teeny Tot since she’s starting to do preschool now.

IMG_7028

Making your own manipulatives is easy and fun! To make the homemade pom-pom magnets you’ll need the following items:

• Hot glue gun and glue sticks
  • 1 package of medium sized pom-poms (I found these in the craft isle at Wal-mart)
  • 1 package of magnetic buttons

IMG_7017

Directions:

Cover your working surface with a paper towel, or another disposable cloth to protect your counters.

Place a dab of hot glue on each magnet button, then immediately press a pom-pom onto the hot glue.

IMG_7021

Repeat this process until all of your magnets or pom-poms are used up!

IMG_7025

And that is, easy-peasy homemade pom-pom magnets that you can use to aid in color sorting, counting, LOTW magnet pages, and anything else you can think of!

IMG_7026

Hope you enjoy this easy do-it-yourself manipulative idea!

• Karen September 4, 2012 at 5:02 am

I love this idea…!!! Thank you so much for sharing it.

• Traci September 4, 2012 at 7:38 am

Great idea..doing it. Side note…LOVE your hot glue gun!

• Elice September 4, 2012 at 8:32 am

Holy moly! Where did you get that package of magnet buttons?! I can only buy scrawny packages.

• Erica October 3, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Hi Elice,
      I purchased mine at Wal-m*rt. I also just saw a bunch in the craft section of Michael’s craft store.

• Tara H September 26, 2012 at 6:12 am

I was wondering what happened to this post! I made these after seeing this post. I blogged about it then couldn’t find this post to link back to (I just linked to your site).
    Thanks for all your great ideas! All 5 of my boys love making pictures with the pom pom magnets!

• Amy September 26, 2012 at 8:42 am

Where did you buy your magnetic buttons? I don’t see them on Amazon.com

• Tara H September 26, 2012 at 9:00 am

Amy, (not that you were asking me 🙂 but) I found that exact package at Wal-Mart.

• Jenn September 26, 2012 at 11:25 am

Thanks! I was wondering about the same thing 🙂

• Daphne LaRosa October 17, 2012 at 11:45 pm

I know it says medium size pom pom. Would you be able to tell me what the inches are? I was looking @ 1/2″ & 1″ and wasn’t sure which would be best for the 3/4″ button Magnets. I found these magnets that are self adhesive, do you think those would work? Would it be better to use the hot glue?

• Kjerstin October 18, 2012 at 11:22 am

I love these! They remind me of little tribbles, actually… (You can tell we’re a little bit nerdy around my house.) Such a cute idea!