Updated Homeschool Room Tour

Good morning friends! It’s not unusual for my husband to come home to find our home rearranged, and today was no exception! I like to switch things up, give things a fresh new look, and clean out the accumulation of clutter that seems to infiltrate my homeschool room.

ourschoolroom

So after school the other day, we decided to do just that, and we tackled our homeschool room. It was starting to feel cramped and cluttered, and after the holidays I think everything just needs to get a good cleaning.

We started by pulling cleaning off all of our shelves, then decided to move our furniture around to give it a new feel as well as hopefully give us some more space.

Here’s a video tour of the new setup, I hope you enjoy it!

Below you can see our school desk setup. I have a whole post on our Ikea desk units you can check out. They discontinued the table tops I purchased, but they replaced them with the Linnmon Table Tops, white.

hsroomtour3

For my feathered friend lovers out there, here’s a closeup of our sweet budgies. Remi and Kiwi are doing well, and loving their new home! They still keep us company while we’re working, and like to fly around the room as well as play on top of their cage while we do school.

We leave their cage open all day so they have the freedom to roam around. But they mainly stay in the school room with the exception of a few random house tours every now and again.

hsroomtour2

And here’s an overview of the new setup. We’re loving the new space and I’m hoping that it’ll stay nice and organized for the remainder of our school year!

hsroomtour1

As promised, here are some links to the products mentioned in this video:

I hope you enjoyed the new tour, and I’ll see you tomorrow!

• Renee March 16, 2015 at 6:02 am

As usual, this looks great, Erica! I’m about to rearrange our room also – I thought I could hold off until the end of the year, but I just can’t. Unfortunately we have some low, slanted ceilings to contend with, so there are some pieces that just can’t be rearranged much to my dismay! I love that you leave the bird cage open for exploration. That’s what we have always done also – it seems more humane that way. Thanks for your posts as always – such an inspiration. 🙂

• Julie March 16, 2015 at 6:14 am

I love seeing how you organize things in your homeschool! I am in the planning stage for our family’s first year homeschooling next year, so I am looking to glean whatever I can from your wonderful site! Thank you for all you share 🙂

• Jennifer-Anne March 16, 2015 at 1:06 pm

Looks great! Makes me want to skip teaching piano lessons this afternoon and stay home and clean our room. I think I will try to plan time for this tomorrow.

• Melissa March 16, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Where did you get the clear containers for manipulatives, beads, etc? I have been looking for something to organize all our stuff in our school room. Love your set up!

• Rachel March 16, 2015 at 8:26 pm

I have loved your schoolroom with the IKEA expedit bookshelves and have used many of your ideas for our schoolroom. I actually cried when I went to IKEA and found out they’ve discontinued the 5×5 expedit shelving unit. We just went through the update your schoolroom process, too and added a huge whiteboard I found at the local used office furniture store. Is there something about February that signals a time for change? Lol!!

• Lisa March 16, 2015 at 10:33 pm

Thanks for the update Erica! Seriously whenever I picture a “homeschool room”, I picture your room. Your level of organization is something I aspire to!

Also – this is completely random. We call our younger son, Budgie, as a nickname. I thought it was pretty funny that you called your birds the same thing! 🙂

Finally, how do the rolling chairs do on the carpet? Our homeschool room will also be carpeted.

• erica March 17, 2015 at 3:28 pm

Hi Lisa,
      That is funny! The rolling chairs do fine on the carpet 🙂

• Shari March 17, 2015 at 5:15 am

i loooove when you share your homeschool room on video!!!!

Totally sad ikea doesn’t sell those shelves anymore. I have them and wanted another set. So big and useful!!

His
    Shari

• Karen March 28, 2015 at 6:42 am

Hi Erika, I love your school room. I wonder though if you still use the workboxes and if so where do you put them in your new set up?
    Thanks!

• Jonathan Sinclair March 31, 2015 at 9:39 am

This was almost an overwhelming post, but in such a GOOD way!! Love the information and the detail. Had a question for you about where you search for toys, more specifically the educational types. We’re trying to get our little one into the Montessori toddlers class later this year, so I’ve checked out montessoritoys.com, any thoughts or advice on that? Thanks:)

• Britaine March 31, 2015 at 8:42 pm

Hi Erica,

What is the length/width of you homeschool room? I am trying to do a similar set up but I think my room might be a little small.

• erica April 1, 2015 at 1:14 pm

I think it’s about 13′ x 14′.

1 2 3