Our Homeschool Room Tour 2016

Expa

Hi everyone! As most of you know, we’ve moved our school room to the basement, and so today I’m sharing our updated homeschool room tour with you!

I want to start off by saying that you by no means need to have a dedicated “classroom” in order to homeschool. You can literally homeschool anywhere you have space, or wherever you prefer. We often pack up and head to the library to do school, sometimes we end up in the living room, and other times we head outside. It really depends on the day and our mood!

That said, I do have a setup school area that we use the majority of the time. It works well for our family and we’re thankful to have this space! So I thought it would be fun to take a little tour and show you how we have it all set up now that we’ve moved!

HSRoomTour2016

Watch Our Updated Homeschool Tour 2016 here!

Click here for more details on our school desk setup. Ikea discontinued the table tops I purchased, but they replaced them with the Linnmon Table Tops, white. I think everything else is the same. Here are links to the desk pieces.

As promised, here are some links to the products mentioned in this video and a few other products we’ve used in our homeschool:

calendarpromo

Click below to download:

Gingham Calendar Days Part 1

Gingham Calendar Days Part 2

For those of you wondering about our birdies, they’re still upstairs in the old location which has now become my sewing room! I was worried the basement might get cold, and so we kept them upstairs in the room their familiar with. So now I have tweety company while I sew Smile

hsroomtour2

• Karen November 3, 2016 at 7:12 am

Hi Erica,

Those budgies have quite the cage. Love it! You need to do a post on them. We would love to learn how you care for them and all the fun accessories you have to keep them entertained. My kiddos would like to have 2 budgies and your set up looks like a birds paradise! My kiddos enjoy spending there school time with our dogs. Our Labrador sleeps under their work table and he makes a great foot rest and foot warmer! While our new little Min Pin snuggles with them when they are reading! I have notice a difference when it comes to reading time with my kiddos, when they snuggle up with our dogs, there willingness to read and read extra pages has increased.
    Thank you for sharing your school room. I am drooling over your space.
    Karen

• Cheryl November 29, 2016 at 6:23 pm

Completely different question, but I really like your flooring! We have to re-do ours due to water damage. Do you know what kind/color it is? We’ve looked at some wood-looking luxury vinyl tile options. If you don’t mind sharing, I’d really appreciate it!

• erica December 1, 2016 at 9:41 am

Yes, it’s a wood laminate from Carpet Exchange called Aged Chesnut. But Home Depot has the exact same thing from Bruce flooring called Reclaimed Chesnut. So far it’s been great. The only thing that is a little bit of a bummer is you can feel it bounce a little in spots when you walk. But that’s due to our basement floor not being totally level. They did level it as best as they could, but there are a few spots.

• Rachel December 4, 2016 at 7:53 am

Wonderful space and beautiful home! Thanks so much for sharing!

• Rainey Daye February 12, 2017 at 9:08 am

Do the kids do the messy sorts of crafts at their school table? Like painting and such? Trying to figure out how we will set up when we move and set up a new schoolroom. We will be in our current setup for at least one more school year, but then we will have a new house to do a new setup for school.

• erica February 15, 2017 at 12:27 pm

It depends, sometimes we’ll do less messy crafts at our desks, sometimes we do it in the kitchen if it’s a more messy craft.

• Amber Tran February 13, 2017 at 6:44 pm

Hello Erica,

This is going to seem like an odd question but I was curious as to what state you live in. We are located in California and I am having such a hard time finding and understanding the process of becoming a homeschool household. Along with that confusion, I’m having a hard time understanding the vaccination problem that California has for homeschooling. It seems like there is a loophole that is requiring us to still have to vaccinate either way even though we don’t want to. This question is really only relevant if you do live in California.

Either way, thank you so much for putting your homeschooling journey out there for parents like us. It helps a lot to know what direction to go in and have a support group for these types of things.

Amber T.

• erica February 15, 2017 at 12:25 pm

Hi Amber,
      Each state has different requirements. You might check http://www.hslda.org they have a lot of information on each state that may be able to help you out. You should also be able to call your local school district and they should have info on homeschooling requirements as well.

• Rosie April 11, 2017 at 9:58 pm

Hello, I know this video is from last year, but was wondering if you could link your expandable desk drawer organizer? Thank you!! I love your blog and videos on youtube!

• erica April 13, 2017 at 12:39 pm

No problem, I just put in a link in the post, thanks for letting me know. You can get it here: http://amzn.to/2is2dBw

• Fritzie May 1, 2017 at 1:02 am

Very nice room! Where did you get the clear divider thing to hold the books up in the kallax shelves?

• erica May 1, 2017 at 9:52 am

Those are from the Container Store, they’re just magazine holders 🙂 LOVE THEM THO!

• Nancy May 28, 2017 at 6:02 am

Do you still recommend the Brother color printer from your 2013 post?

• Bethany July 10, 2017 at 9:18 pm

Where are your cabinets from?? I love the vertical wood grid doors!!

• erica July 26, 2017 at 9:23 pm