I get a ton of questions on our school room, and so I thought I would do an update on our Ikea setup.
So to answer your questions…
- YES, we still love our desks!
- YES, they’re still white! (They clean very easily with some water, Windex, or for certain marker spots I used Clorox Cleaner)
- YES, my kids have survived the swivel chairs!
I also get a LOT of questions on how our desks are set up so I thought I’d show you more detailed pictures of the setup. I moved the drawers out to the ends this year so there was room for the chairs to push all the way in. In order to do that, I had to get a piece of board to help make the desk tops more steady.
I found a piece of 4×8 peg board at my local home depot ($8) and had the nice man there cut it in half for me. (I’ll show you what I did with the rest of it later ;o)
I put the board on top of the drawer units to help stabilize the desk tops. I think it would work better if I’d had one that was 5’x’ 5’ but you work with what you have.
EDITED: To prevent slipping, I have since purchased a set of 4 flat metal brackets. I used them to screw the two desktops together so they don’t move apart. I also added a rubber rug mat (the kind to keep small area rugs from sliding around) in between the peg board and the desktops. Works like a charm!
My school room is about 11′ x 14′, the total size of the desk is about 5′x5′.
What are the specifics?
- 4 – Vika Alex Drawer units
- 2 – Vika Amon Table Tops (I purchased two 2.5′ x 5′ table tops and put them together for a 5×5 table, I’ve updated this link the table tops are now called “Linnmon” but they’re the same as mine.)
- 1 Expedit Wall Shelf (The 5×5 Expedit shelving unit is no longer available, the largest one they have now is a 4×4 unit called the Kallax units.)
- 4 Jules Jr. Swivel Chairs (Update: Swivel chairs are working well, they’ve gotten over the spinning, so it’s all good now.)
- 5 DRÖNA Storage boxes
Here’s a close-up of the drawers and chairs for you. I turned them all in a pin-wheel pattern so that one set of drawers is facing each student. I’m strongly considering getting a glass top cut for this to protect all my whiteness, but that’ll have to come later as budget allows. I am also thinking of securing the desk tops to the drawer units with screws just to prevent slipping.
EDITED: I also added a rubber rug mat (the kind to keep small area rugs from sliding around) in between the peg board and the desktops. Works like a charm!
Here is the completed unit, the openings are now wide enough for the chair to slide all the way in.
And here it is completely put together: