Guten Tag and welcome to our week on Germany!
We always start off by stamping our passports and locating our new country on the World Map.
Here are some more of the things we covered this week:
- Located Germany & the Baltic Sea on the map and completed our worksheet
- How to say “Hello” in German – Guten Tag (Good Day)
- Learn about Neuschwanstein Castle
- Prayed for the German people
- Learned a German Song
- Had bread with Neutella & lemonade!
- Completed a lapbook activity
- Learned about and classified 6 animals of Germany
- Read: Geography from A-Z pg 23 Highland, Lowland, Hill, knoll, Pg 43 Valley
- Learned about Germany from National Geographic Kids
- German Composers: Ludwig Van Beethoven, & Johann Sebastian Bach
- Watched The Sound of Music (I know it takes place in Austria, but it’s close to Germany, and we found it on the map before watching, plus it’s a classic and it was a good excuse to add it in!)
- Finished our week with an authentic German dinner made by a good friend, thanks Michelle!
Here are some of the highlights of the week:
Each week I put up information on our white board. We review it daily to help get the facts memorized.
We learned about the Germany Flag:
Made soft pretzels:
Added our animals to the animal wall…we’re running out of space!
We watched The Sound of Music, the girls loved it, my son rolled his eyes and asked if he HAD to watch. I didn’t make him, but seriously people, it’s a classic!
Did our mini-book for our world lapbook:
Learned our Geography Terms then found them on the poster. You can get this cute poster HERE
Learn about Neuschwanstein Castle then built our own version:
We made cute paper dolls from Germany!
We tried Nutella on bread for the firs time…after which my son said “Mom, can we fly to Germany and buy some more of this stuff?”
We finished off our week with an authentic meal made by a good friend! She was kind enough to invite a few other families one of which is doing my Germany studies as well. We even had a yule log for dessert, yum!
So that concludes our week in Germany.
Click here to learn more about the Expedition Earth Geography curriculum!
If you decide to do Austria, let me know…the two countries may seem the same, but they're really not!
It looks great! So nice of your friend for doing the dinner & have other friends over doing the same curric as you!!! How did you do the pretzel? Do you have a recipe for it?Rosie
Very cool, but please tell me you are taking a break from school this week.
ROSIE: You can click on teh soft pretzel link above by the picture or here's the recipe:http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/blog/2010/05/soft-pretzel-recipe.html
Anonymous: LOL! Yes, we are taking a break, we had last week off too, I just pre-posted some stuff early :o)
It sounds like a great week. Although, the Sound of Music actually takes place in Austria. 🙂 It's still one of my favourite movies.
I lived in germany for 4.5 years it was so green there :)if you haven't done italy yet get out the nutella again since it's an italian
Looks like a great study! We plan to do Germany next year and will use some of your ideas!
Erica,Where did you find the Geogrophy Terms poster? I would love to have one!Thanks!-Stephanie
MY WAY HOME: I got the geography poster here: http://amzn.to/2joFXgs