Buon giorno and welcome to our Expedition Earth week on Italy! As a country near and dear to my heart this week, we had a great time, and I even learned some new things about Italy too!
Of course we started off our week finding Italy on the map and stamping our passports with the Italian flag:
Here are some of the things we covered this week:
- Located Italy on the map and completed our mapping worksheet
- Learned about the Italian flag
- How to say “Hello” & “Thank you” in Italian – Ciao, Grazie
- Prayed for the Italian people
- Learned a song in Italian
- Completed a lapbook activity
- Learned Roman Numerals
- Learned about and classified 6 animals of Italy
- Learn a little about Italian Opera
- Vocabulary: Geography from A-Z: Volcano
- Learned about Mt Vesuvius and made a volcano
- Learn about the 5th Wonder of the World: The Roman Colosseum and made a model out of Foam Bricks.
- Learn about the Leaning Tower of Piza and made a model
- Learned about Michelangelo and painted upside down under a table
- Made homemade spaghetti & meatballs with gelato for dessert!
We worked on our mapping worksheet, learning the capital, population, religion, language, and major landforms of Italy.
We learned about the Roman Colosseum and Leaning Tower of Pisa then tried to make our own using FloraCraft Bricks.
We learned about the Italian flag, and even found a few to wave.
We learned about Mt Vesuvius and made our own volcano explosion in the kitchen with the help of Nana.
Then Nana sat and showed us pictures from when my grandparents went to Italy years ago. It was cool to see the things we were studying in the album!
Since it snowed that week, my son took the initiative and made his own version of Mt Vesuvius out of snow:
Of course we learned about animals found in Italy and added them to our ever growing animal wall. I’m going to have to add more room as I slightly underestimated the amount of animals we had!
We also learned about Roman Numerals.
Thanks for joining our week on Italy, next we’re on to Greece!
Click here to learn more about the Expedition Earth Geography curriculum!
I so admire how you teach your children. I wish I lived by you so I could learn from you! Your children are so blessed.. Merry Christmas!
Looks like so much fun! We have Italy scheduled for January. I'm excited to do it and will refer back to this post. Thanks for sharing!
I would love to know where you bought the Gelato from? Did you get if from a grocery store of did you have a special little shop?
Actually we made our own, there’s an easy recipe in the A Trip Around the World book we use!