ballerinapromo

Magnetic Color Cubes: Color By Number

I bought this set of Magnetic Mosaics by Orb Factory last year and it’s remained to be a favorite in our house.

I love this game because for one it’s re-usable, unlike the sticky mosaics. Two, it’s great for number and color recognition, dexterity, and one-to-one correspondence. And three, its just plain fun!

IMG_3739

There are several different themes you can choose from and each set comes with a magnetic board, a stand, colored magnetic cubes, and several different pattern cards to guide your design. Since I have 4 kiddos here, I had to come up with a couple other magnetic surfaces for them to work on.

IMG_3743

My only complaint is how thin the pattern cards are, it’s a very thin paper material that can rip easily. I would love to take it and get them laminated, but the magnets aren’t very strong, so I’m not sure if that would work or not. So for now, my kids are just instructed to be careful with the patterns.

This game is similar to the wooden Magnetic Color Cubes.

IMG_6436 IMG_6437

I made 8 cards for her to play with, I printed them double sided (so I only used 4 sheets of cardstock) then I laminated them for durability. Here’s a peek at the cards:

promo

Click here to download the Magnetic Color Cube Cards

Have any other ideas for magnetic color cubes? Share below in the comments!

• Caren with a "C" September 29, 2011 at 1:25 am

Those look like lots of fun! How is your new homeschooling furniture from IKEA working out?

• Erica September 29, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Ikea furniture is working out wonderful! We LOVE it! And even though it’s nice and white, the material is VERY easy to clean, so at the end of the day i just run a damp paper towel over it, if i have a marker stain, i use a little windex or something similar and voila! Clean again :o)

• L2L September 29, 2011 at 4:29 am

Erica, have you tried the magnets on a cookie sheet. Sometimes I find that it isn’t the magnets but the surface doesn’t have a very strong magnetic pull?!?! When we travel I always bring a cookie sheet for our tan-o-grams that are magnetic and our ABC set, that way I don’t have to worry about them being ALL over the car when we get to our destination!!!

• erica September 29, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Great idea!

• Carolyn September 29, 2011 at 5:41 am

How is the laminated cardstock working out? If that works, then couldn’t you laminate the paper thin patterns they give you? Just thinking out loud. This looks awesome and I am definitely putting it on my “Wishlist” which I then use to give friends and family ideas for presents for the girls. 🙂

• Marie September 29, 2011 at 5:53 am

Thank you for sharing the beautiful pattern cards. They are lovely! The magnetic mosaic cubes are a favorite in our home as well. I agree about the flimsy paper patterns. Love the cookie sheet idea. We will give that a try!!

• Heidi Johnson September 29, 2011 at 8:10 am

That looks like a fun game. I have never seen these before. They remind me of Lite Brite without the lights and the patterns don’t get destroyed every time you use them like with Lite Brite.

• Cali September 29, 2011 at 9:14 am

Maybe laminate with magnetic lamination and your Xyron? Love the patterns… beautiful.

• erica September 29, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I can’t my Xyron is only 9″ wide and the sheets are bigger, maybe 12″? Good idea though :o)

• JDaniel4's Mom September 29, 2011 at 9:34 am

These make such pretty designs. What fun!

• Louanne September 29, 2011 at 2:01 pm

That’s so fun

• Penny September 29, 2011 at 11:01 pm

These are really great for working on fine motor skills and motor planning . The ot uses them with Logan at therapy. Hmmm, may have to suggest this as a gift for Christmas. Thanks for sharing!

• Kaycee September 30, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I bought a set of these back when you posted patterns before. I have an at-home laminator (a good deal on amazon about this time of year last year – this one: http://amzn.to/2fsSVIO – for $19.99) and I printed your patterns off on cardstock, double-sided and then laminated them. My original packaging on the color cubes came as a fairly thin metal case and they stick fine through the laminated cardstock to it! So laminating them might work fine for you.

Just thought I would share since I have LOVED the patterns you shared, my daughter plays with them all the time!

• Kaycee September 30, 2011 at 10:39 pm

ps…… meant to say in my original post – THANKS for sharing and posting the patterns!

Where did you get the huge dolphin pattern? Is that yours too or did it come with something? I don’t think we have enough cubes (or colors) for that one.

• Kaycee September 30, 2011 at 10:41 pm

I’m an idiot – I just figured out there are bigger sets of the cubes that must come with those patterns. Nevermind! 🙂

1 2