Homeschool Room Tour Video!

Hi everyone! I wanted to do something fun and unusual today, so I made a homeschool room tour video to share with you all!

I’m so sorry, it turned out kind of long, so I had to break it up into two parts. But for those of you interested in seeing our room “live” so to speak, grab a cup of coffee (you’ll need it to stay awake) and join me on a tour of our homeschool room!

Also, keep in mind this is my first real video…um. yeah…just keep that in mind ;o) and it ended up being really long! Sorry I’ll try to talk less in future videos LOL!

Our Homeschool Room Tour Pt. 1

Our Homeschool Room Tour Pt. 2 (Yes…there’s actually more!)

So that’s our current homeschool room for 2012-2013, I hope you enjoyed the video!

Here are links to all of the items mentioned above!

My school room is about 11′ x 14′, the total size of the desk is about 5′x5′. Here are the items mentioned from Ikea:

Here are some more posts on homeschool things we love:

1. That was great! :). Thanks for sharing and motivating. :)

2. Thank you so much for sharing that video! It had so much detailed information that answered ALOT of my questions. I have 3 kids (1,3 &5) and have decided to homeschool and am just all over the place looking for info to equip myself for the task at hand. I ate up every minute of your video’s. Thank you for spending the time you did!

3. Thanks for sharing!

4. Heather B says:

Thanks so much for sharing your videos! I loved the details you shared. I look forward to a video on workboxes:) I don’t know how you do it all and do it so well, but thanks for all you do, share and inspire!!! I have been working on your letter curriculum ideas with my 4 yr old who was way behind when we were sending her to preschool. After a few months of homeschool she is doing so well and on track now:) I never would have had the courage to try without finding your site…thank you!

5. Hi Erica- I was wondering if you could do a post on your word jail? My daughter is in first grade and we are dealing with sight words and which words don’t follow the phonics rules. I would love to hear more about this board!
    Thanks so much! :)

6. Kaitlin L. says:

Love this post – thanks for taking the time to put it together!

7. That was great! Never got bored once. I really enjoyed seeing the way you stage your room to help me get organizational ideas.

8. Thanks so much for the videos. I actually enjoyed that they were long and detailed. They are inspiring me to get into gear for the next school year where we start fresh in a new house. I’m super motivated to get set up in a new room. I loved them! Thanks again!

9. Andrea Gardner says:

Great idea to use red correcting pencil instead of pen (or in addition to?). I now what some! It never occured to me I would want something so simply as a red pencil, lol

10. Hillary E. says:

Thanks so much for the video! It was great! I just started homeschooling in October and I modeled our school room after yours because I loved it so much!

11. stacy weiner says:

You are such an inspiration…stay blessed

12. Thank you so much. This was great and not too long at all..It is amazing everything you were able to fit in your room..I may need to email you with a few questions..Thanks again Erica

13. Beautiful! I have never met (ok, seen, read) anyone like you? Seriously, how do you do it? That is the most organized, thorough homeschool room ever! Are you a trained teacher? Or does it just come naturally to you?

14. Great post – I have homeschool room envy! Could you tell us what wall treatments you have? Is it a special material that you can use thumbtacks and tape on? It looks like maybe some cork or dried grass paper? I’m curious to know!

15. Thanks! That was fun! You should do one about what your typical school day looks like:)

16. Not too long at all! Very informative AND inspiring! Thank you. I’m assuming you have a post about the bead necklaces for reading? I’m going to have to search for that. My oldest could use a motivator!

17. AHHHHHH-MAZING post Erica! I know you thought it was long, but that was necessary to give us all the details. I am so glad you did this- YOU ROCK!!!!

(Now I need to go do some restructuring of our school room…hmmmmm….) ;0)

18. Chris Nadolny says:

Awesome post! What kind of time frame do you use to prepare each day and stay organized just for school?

• I spend the summer planning for our year, so then during the year it takes me about 15 min a day to get ready for the following day’s work. I have a post coming up soon that will help explain how I do that!

19. Awesome videos! Thank you!!! You amaze me! Do you ever get burned out?!

• Yes, definitely get tired and overwhelmed at times! Planning during summer helps not get so overwhelmed during the year though. We also take breaks during our year to just give everyone a break and give me a chance to get caught up or just take some time off.

20. I loved the video and the length didn’t bother me at all. Thank you for sharing, it really gave me a lot of great ideas! I look forward to your future workbox video, I could definently use some help there!

21. Thanks for sharing all of that–it’s very helpful! By the way, even my kids enjoyed watching these videos! I started watching, and they drifted in here to watch with me and begged to see the 2nd one. :)

22. Loved it!!! Thank you!

23. Amazing post! I could watch your videos for hours! They are so detailed and I’m totally inspired! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this! I don’t know how you do all that you do!

24. Thank you so much for sharing and for all of the additional resources you provide!

25. Thanks for sharing…it is always interesting to see how different families are able to organize all the stuff needed to homeschool.
    p.s. there are handcuffs on the ground under your kids desk :)

• LOL! I know, they’re Turbo’s play ones, I was hoping no one would notice haha! No I don’t chain him to his chair!

26. Melissa Irvin says:

Thank you so much for sharing!!

27. Great posts, thanks for sharing!

28. Fun!!! I got to do a video tour for TOS magazine last year but they limited me to 5 minutes or something lame. lol

Love your room. Ours is filled with Ikea too.

29. Erica, This was a great post! Thanks for sharing in a video. I started watching it to see what all you had and my 7 yr old daughter came by and stopped and watched the whole thing with me! At the end when you said “hope you enjoyed it” my daughter said “Yes I did!” She is definitely an organizer – like me!! This is our first year of homeschooling and finding your blog has been an encouragement to me. Thanks again. Tricia

30. Hi Erica,
    Absolutely amazing! You did NOT talk too much–I could have heard more! Thanks for sharing it all. I hope to apply some of it to our home!

31. This is great! So organized! Thanks for sharing.

32. Loved the video tour! You did a great job, thank you for sharing it with us :)

33. Erica, thank you so much for your video!!! I love your website and your classroom is amazing! I have so much inspiration from your creative atmosphere.
    My hubby cringes every time I read one of your fantastic posts…because he just knows it is going to give me some “new” idea for our classroom!!! LOL!!!
    Our classroom is a dream come true for our family and a lot of the ideas were inspired by your blog.

Thank you again so much for sharing and being so creative. We love all the hard work you put into your curriculum.

34. I loved the video!! I hope you make more! This is my third year homeschooling and I have been struggling with how to get it organized. We have been using the dining room table, which doesn’t work so well b/c I feel like I don’t get to spend enough time with my 3 year old and then we have another baby due in 2 months. We have a large sunroom that we use for a playroom. We received some gift cards for Christmas and went to IKEA last week and bough everything for the table set-up and we bought the 4X4 Expedit shelving. The kids LOVE the table. They sit at it even when we are done with school! Thank-you for the inspiration!

35. That was awesome. Thanks for sharing. I can’t wait till I have a room just for a schoolroom. Right now we have a Living/Kitchen/Dining/Entryway/Schoolroom. It will be nice to have space like yours someday. I enjoyed all the detail. Very inspiring! Something to strive for. I’m not quite that organized. :) YET!

36. This is AH-MAZING!!! I want to be this organized when I grow up!! :)

37. I loved the videos. Thank you SO much for sharing!

38. Courtney Koster says:

This was really great! Thank you very much for sharing. You definitely inspire me.

39. Great tour. I love your homeschool room and enjoyed the tour. I did not think it was too long at all. I showed it to my kids and they want to see it after school today.
    We are in our second year of homeschooling (preschool – using your letter of the week curriculum and 4th grade) and use our dining room for school. It wasn’t being used anyways. It’s just not as conveniently laid out because you walk through it for the kitchen on one side and the living room on another and a hallway on another. The last wall has a big window, which is great, but we don’t have as much wall space. I was able to get some great ideas from this video.
    Would love to know the name of the pencils again and what you put your stuff up on the walls with. We need some good pencils. The cheap ones do not sharpen very well, much less erase.

40. Very inspirational! Thanks for sharing.

41. Great videos! What a fun homeschooling room. Makes me want to try some new things to get more organized. We don’t have a separate room for our homeschool stuff, so this was really fun to see it all together. :) Here’s how we organize our homeschool:

42. Tanya Area says:

You mentioned your pencil sharpener just died. I’d like to recommend the one I bought for $20 at SAMs Club. It is absolutely the best electric pencil sharpener I’ve come across (though we learned the hard way you’re not supposed to use it for colored pencils, OOPS!) it is called the Royal Electric Pencil Dharpener p60. Hope this helps you as much as so many of you’re suggestions have helped me.

43. Amy ~ mommy of 4 and counting... says:

Wowzers!! =). We’ve just begun our homeschool journey; Monday was our first day. It was a long time coming, and we finally did it! We have 13 yo Nathan, 7 yo Natalie, 4 yo Matthew and almost 2 mo old Joshua. My head was spinning when I was trying to figure out how to go about it. I was so blessed to find your website and your video. We have a whole playroom to dedicate to our homeschooling, but its pretty empty right now. Great job, and thank you for making it a little easier for this first timer! I look forward to coming back to your site time and time again. Blessings and hugs!!!

44. So So great! Thanks for sharing! I loved seeing this in “real life!”

45. You mention wanting an HP Photosmart printer and I just wanted to say that we had one and went through ink like crazy. I was refilling ink so often that after less than a year we finally had to get a different printer. We love our HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus. Still HP but the ink cartridges are a different type and now I only buy ink every few months. The Photosmart is nice for printing high quality images like photos, but the 8500A is much better for most printables in terms of ink usage. Thank you for sharing your schoolroom with us, it has given me lots of inspiration for organisation!

46. Loved the videos. Thank you for spending the time to do this. Curious on how you store completed schoolwork. My girls are almost 5 yrs old and I have been turning their completed pages into lapbooks, but I seem to be unable to keep up with the accumulating paperwork. Ideas, tip and suggestions are much appreciates. Love the website and all the great information you share. Thanks you!!

47. This was great! Thanks for sharing! I do have one question, How did you make your Children’s Training Bible? Is there a good tutorial out there? I would love to know. Thanks so much for all you do, your website is one of my favorites.

48. Loved the video. Not too long at all. Most tours I find aren’t detailed enough, go on rabbit trails or are too short.
    Great Job!

Just a suggestion on the printer.
    We bought a laser printer about 7 or 8 years ago for my husbands previous business, which is no longer, and well, I’ve used it heavily for homeschooling for almost 5 years and it has been worth it. The toner is more money than an ink cartridge (as you probably know) but lasts much longer. I really only need to buy a multi pack of toner (magenta, yellow, blue) every 10 months or a year. And Black every 8 months or so. The colour is fine, as I’ve printed your items as well as many other things off the web. The ink and colour quality is less but for bulk printing that doesn’t require picture-like results, I would suggest a laser. It may be higher priced but if you can afford it, it’s worth it in the end, I think. But again just a suggestion.

Happy Homeschooling and always a big thank you for your resources.
    Bless you

49. Loved the videos!!! Having the visual tour is so helpful….and fun!

50. What are the dimensions of your homeschooling room? I like the layout and would like to do something similar but our room is 10 x14 if it would be large enough. I enjoyed your video by the way!
    Thanks for your help!