IMG_4138.jpg

Letter of the Week Storage

I’ve had a few questions on how I organized all of my Letter of the Week and K4 Kindergarten Curriculum, so I thought I’d show you all some pictures!

IMG_4138

Since I’ve printed ALL of my printables, I had to come up with some way to store them all! I decided binders full of page protectors was my best bet. Along the top of my Ikea Expedit Shelving unit, you will find binders…lots of binders! (They are cheap 1” binders from Wal-m*rt)

Each binder has a spine label on it indicating the letter, then inside are page protectors housing all of the games for that letter. (The spine labels are part of my Letter of the Week Curriculum  in the “extras” folder and K4 Curriculum as well.)

IMG_4135

I store small game pieces in snack size Zip-loc baggies, then put them inside the page protectors for safe keeping.

IMG_4129

I also put several pages into one page protector, for example all of the Large Floor Numbers for Letter A are in one page protector.

IMG_4131

If you aren’t feeling like laminating everything, page protectors are also a great way to be able to re-use the items that are to be traced like the pre-writing pages.

IMG_4133

As you can see, I’ve put more than one game in each page protector just to make the most out of my space.

IMG_4134

And that’s it! Lots of binders, and lots of page protectors! Just because I know you’ll ask, I think I purchased 1 box of 100 page protectors.

NOTE: You may not need to purchase 26 binders like I did, it will depend on how many games and such you have printed from the curriculum. I’ve had other readers say they’ve fit a few letters in each binder, so you’ll want to figure out about how much you think you can fit before going crazy in the binder isle ;o)

For the K4 Curriculum, I used 4 binders.

So, for what it’s worth, I hope that helps some of you on the organization side of things!

For more information on Letter of the Week and K4 Curriculum, click the buttons below:

LOTWlogo K4logo

• crystal October 20, 2011 at 11:37 pm

so cool I just did this to all the pumpkin , police , and Christmas stuff that I Got from U Thank You so much me and my hubby totally love and have recomended your blog to alot of peaple i also put ur button on my blog and will be sharing about all the activities we have done this week God bless

• Erin October 21, 2011 at 5:47 am

Hi Erica! Two follow up questions: when I laminated the pages they were too large to fit inside the page protectors. Did you cut all your pages (i.e. the floor numbers, that are fine not cutting and leaving as-is)? Secondly, I have the Scotch Thermal Laminator and when I cut the pages after laminating the lamination often comes off. Your don’t seem to have that problem…just wondering if this seems to be a normal problem or if my machine might be a dud. 🙂 As always, thanks for everything!

• Erin October 21, 2011 at 5:49 am

Ooh, one more question. I see you have the Lakeshore blue tubs – I was thinking about purchasing a set either from there or Oriental Trading to hold my file folder games, each child’s lapbooks, and books for our reading station. How do you like them?

• erica October 21, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Hi Erin, I love them, they’re nice and long so you can fit longer books in them. I guess the only thing is they’re not that wide, so you can’t fit that many of them in there…but we’ve had them for years! I used to use them as our workboxes in our pre-workbox days LOL! They were for my son, one for each day of the week!

• Margaret Welch October 21, 2011 at 6:44 am

I use a file box for mine. With a hanging folder for each letter. Then I just slide it to my preschoolers shelf and put out new stuff each week.

• Heidi Johnson October 21, 2011 at 6:57 am

Wow! More cool ideas for organizing things. We homeschoolers love those sheet protectors. They are SO handy. Thanks for sharing 🙂

• kama October 21, 2011 at 7:13 am

One question–where do you do your printing? Our home desktop printer eats ink like you wouldn’t believe, so that’s not really an option. I just can’t find anywhere that is reasonably priced to print off color or black and white!

• Charity October 21, 2011 at 7:53 am

I bought the curriculum & have the same problem because I am printing for my 4 yr old quadruplets. I am even printing some of the stuff in “fast copy b&w” and I’m still tearing thru printer ink. If someone has researched efficient home printers or a cheap outside-the-home option, I’m all ears!

• erica October 21, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Hi Charity,
        if you’re printing for Quadruplets, I think I’d just print one copy of everything still and rotate the activities for them so you’re not printing multiple copies. Just print multiples for things like cutting, coloring, and do a dot pages. Those are all black and white mostly anyway.
        Hope that helps!
        Erica

• Erin October 21, 2011 at 7:21 pm

We purchased a Brother laser printer/copier (the one we wanted went on a great sale at Staples). It prints beautifully! We’ve run out of toner once already and found the name brand toner at a phenomenal price on Amazon. I’m printing most on card stock, as well, and also found it cheapest at Amazon.

• Charity October 22, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Why didn’t I think about checking Amazon for ink??? Doh! Thanks for the reminder! =)

• Jeb Fetters March 4, 2012 at 1:36 pm

A great option for everyone is to invest in a color laser printer. On amazon right now you can get a Brother color laser printer for just over $300 and it will print color pages for about 4-6 cents/page !!

• Trilby Bias July 10, 2012 at 5:48 pm

How do you determine how much it will cost to print color pages?

• Samantha October 21, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I spent a lot of money on ink for this program. I ended up buying refurbished ink online (here: https://www.printronic.com/) so instead of paying $20 for colored ink I paid $10. Next year we’ll be buying a laser printer 🙂

• Charity October 22, 2011 at 12:39 pm

That’s a great idea too! Thank you!

• erica October 21, 2011 at 2:05 pm

You might want to check out http://www.bestvaluecopies.com

• Joy March 1, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I discover Ink refill kits that use the BIG bottles to draw ink upon which flow thru little tubes into your printers ink cartridges and WALLA you have a printer that prints like a champion. Look around for different web sites that sell, this was the first one I came too so you could get and idea of what it looks like. There are a lot of web sites for this and it is WAY cheaper to buy it this way.

• Lisa October 21, 2011 at 10:30 am

Thanks for sharing!

• Louanne October 21, 2011 at 11:54 am

I have the curriculum and will be printing soon, so this is really helpful. I am an organizing junkie so I really like this.

• Samantha October 21, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I printed and laminated basically everything, and I put them all in baggies and then into file folders, and put all the file folders into a filefoldercrate thing. I then have a 1″ binder with my lesson plans and a page with “notes” as I go through the program.

After laminated everything the things that are one page (like the magnet page) wouldn’t fit in a page protector, so I like my file folder system. One file folder per letter 🙂

• Crystal December 12, 2012 at 11:29 am

LOVE this idea! Cheaper than the binders and takes up less room too! Thanks for sharing!! 🙂

• erica October 21, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Sorry everyone, I should have added that I DO Cut out all my pieces. The full page pieces like the Floor Numbers, I trimmed so they’d fit in the pouches too! Just wanted everything in one spot :o)

1 2 3 4